Tips and best practices when working from home
- Connect to the CapVPN while accessing organization resources and disconnect the VPN when your workday is over, or when you are engaging in non-work related activities on your device.
- Avoid blending personal and work activities – don’t browse the web, shop online, download music, or use streaming services while accessing work resources. Completely separate these activities while you are actively on the job.
- Do not let friends or family members use the device you use to connect to work resources.
- Do not use shared Wi-Fi or public networks from home and not share your Wi-Fi password with neighbors or friends – if your password has been shared, change it to something new.
- Change your home Wi-Fi password annually (at minimum) and ensure your new password is at least 12 characters in length.
- If you are using a personal device for work, ensure your operating system, application patches, and virus protection are up to date.
- If you are using a personal device for work, ensure you have enabled a strong 12 character (at minimum) password on the device.
- Do not store sensitive organization information on your personal device – instead, use a secured SharePoint site or designated network drive to store your work information.
- Ask IT to enable multi-factor authentication on your account for added security.
Report any suspicious behaviour on your device or accounts to the IT Department as soon as possible.