Capilano University is looking for student speakers to address graduates at the Spring Convocation Ceremonies.
Selected student speakers will present their address live at their specific ceremony.
- Applicant must be eligible to graduate at the next convocation ceremony;
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing; and
- Commit to attend and participate fully in the convocation ceremony, including any rehearsals.
Complete the online application by April 25, 2022 with:
- Contact Information
- Student ID
- Biography: A short bio of yourself would be used in the Convocation Program should you be the successful applicant:
- Program you are graduating in & credential you are graduating with
- How many years have you studied at CapU?
- Highlight any awards or recognition you have received during your time at CapU?
- What clubs or extracurricular activities were you involved in?
- Please share an accomplishment in your studies that you are most proud of?
- As you reflect on your time at CapU, what advice would you give to current/future students so they can succeed in their studies too?
- Now that you have your credential(s), what is your next goal? What are your career ambitions?
- Who would you like to thank for supporting your educational journey?
- Video recording of statement of interest using elements from your biography and describing your engagement with Capilano University and the broader community, personal growth, how you got here, and challenges you've faced.
- Please record a video up to 2 minutes delivering your Statement of Interest to showcase how you would present your Convocation speech;
- Include a minimum of one letter of reference from staff or faculty and two other references we can contact if needed for additional information; and
- Also include a head shot.
Student Speaker selection criteria
The Student Speaker Committee will consider the following when making their selection of student speakers:
- Clarity of ideas;
- Appeal to a broad audience & common experiences of Capilano University students;
- Quality of speech content;
- Extent to which the speech represents the mission and values of CapU; and
- Speaker's delivery – well prepared, engaging, vocal variety, animated delivery, stage presence.
Student Speaker process
- Eligible and interested students are required to fill the online application form.
- The Convocation Student Speaker Committee will review entries and choose student speakers.
- The Committee will send the selected student a speech sample from past years and instructions for their role that day. When considering drafting the convocation address, consider the following:
- Making your address relatable to other graduates;
- Original – in your own voice;
- Honouring the significance of the occasion – reflective of the past, present, future; and
- A call to action to your classmates.
- The committee will announce the selected speakers no later than two weeks after the deadline for submissions. The committee will also notify unsuccessful applicants at that time.
- The selected speakers will be notified and will work with University Events to refine their speech and delivery, if necessary.
Student speaker applications are currently closed. Keep checking this space for updates.