David T. Fung
"I look forward to engaging with the local community and serving as an ambassador for Capilano University, helping to encourage students to become leaders in a rapidly changing world."
– David T. Fung
David T. Fung is Capilano University's chancellor. A resident of the North Shore, Fung is an international leader in business, technology and sustainability who has a long history of proactive interest in post-secondary education.
Fung – who has a doctorate of chemical engineering from McGill University and was awarded an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from Capilano University in 2014 – is chair and CEO of the ACDEG Group of companies, a global technology integrator. He is an international entrepreneur and an advisor to a range of federal government departments and offices, as well as one of the largest clean technology venture capital funds in Canada. Fung has worked on joint ventures between Canada and Sweden, Germany and Asia and serves on the national board of Canadian Standards Association Group, a $350-million technology service business in 15 countries.
The chancellor is the ceremonial head of the University and presides at convocation, conferring degrees and other credentials. As a member of both Capilano University's Board of Governors and the Senate, the chancellor serves as a key ambassador for the University. The Board appoints the chancellor on the recommendation of the Capilano University Alumni Association for a three-year term.
Appointed by the University's Board of Governors on April 19, 2016, Fung assumed his duties following his formal installation during Capilano University's convocation ceremony on June 6, 2016.
- Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering, McGill University)
- B.Eng. (Chemical Engineering, McGill University)
- M.Eng. (Chemical Engineering, McGill University)
- Senior Executive Program (Queen's University)
- PEng (British Columbia), Chartered Director (C. Dir.), Audit Committee Certified (A.C.C.) and Human Resources & Compensation Committee Certified (H.R.C.C.C.) and a guest faculty member of Directors College (McMaster University and Conference Board of Canada)
- Canadian Asian of the Year (Business and Public Service), 2009 by Asia Network Canada
- Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal, 2012 by Governor General of Canada
- Doctor of Laws (honoris causa), 2014 by Capilano University, North Vancouver (BC), Canada
Memberships and Associations:
- Chancellor, Board of Governors and Senate of Capilano University
- Steering Committee of Metro Vancouver Regional Prosperity Initiatives
- Vice-chair of the national board of Canada China Business Council (CCBC)
- National board of directors of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME-MEC)
- National board of directors of Canadian Standards Assosciation Group (CSA), a $400 million technology service business in 14 countries
- Board member of National Zero Waste Council of Canada
- Board member of Canadian Green Chemistry and Engineering Network
- Board member of CenterPort Canada Inc. of Winnipeg, MB (2009-2015)
- Chair of the national board of Chemical Institute of Canada (CIC) (2013-2014)
- Co-chair of the Members of the Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) (2009-2014)
- Chair, China Committee of International Science and Technology Partnership Canada (2007-2013)
- Chair of national board of Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters (CME-MEC) (2007-2009)
- President, Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering (CSChE) (2006-2007)