Everyone has the potential to study at the post-secondary level.

Information and assessment will be provided remotely

Important Note: we will not be holding in-person ABE information and assessment sessions at this time. 

All information and assessment for our ABE upgrading classes will be provided remotely. 

Please indicate your interest in the ABE program by visiting Sign up for an Information and Assessment Session and leaving your name, email, phone number, and the subjects you are interested in studying.  We will then send you an email about your next steps for assessment and registration!
Our Summer I term begins on May 11. 

**If you have already signed up for an in-person information session for our summer terms, you'll be receiving an email from us soon letting you know your next steps.

If you don’t have the admission requirements for the program or courses you’re interested in right now, don’t worry. We can help you get there.

Which of our academic upgrading programs will be best for you?  

Adult Basic Education (ABE)

ABE courses can be taken full- or part-time with some courses available for online study. They can help you:

  • complete your high school courses and achieve your BC Adult Dogwood Graduation Diploma
  • improve your marks in Grade 11 or 12 courses needed as prerequisites for post-secondary studies
  • improve your GPA
  • complete university prerequisites.

If you are new to ABE at Cap U then sign up for an information and assessment session. You will need to attend a session before you can register for courses.  Upcoming courses and times can be viewed on the ABE Summer I (pdf) and ABE Summer II (pdf) timetables.

If you are a current or returning (taken ABE classes in the last 2 years) ABE student, you can select classes on either the Main Registration or any of the Supplementary Registration dates.

If your work or family commitments make coming to campus difficult, you can take some ABE courses online. View the list of Adult Basic Education online courses.

Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents do not pay tuition fees for ABE courses.

International students do pay tuition fees for ABE courses.

All students pay for:

You may apply for the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) to help with incidental fees and textbook costs. The grant is based on financial need.

College & University Preparation (CUP)

Are you ready for first-year university, but need an extra boost? Take some first-year university courses with confidence while adding some upgrading courses at the same time to ensure your success. In 15 weeks in either the Fall or the Spring semesters, you can brush up on writing and critical reading, and other tailored courses in a very supportive academic setting.

Learn more about College & University Preparation courses.

Then sign up for an information and assessment session. You’ll need to attend a session before you can register for CUP courses.

English for Academic Purposes/English as a Second Language (EAP/ESL)

If English is not your first language, EAP prepares you to:

  • research and write academic essays 
  • read academic textbooks and peer-reviewed articles
  • understand academic lectures and take notes
  • deliver academic presentations based on research.

Learn more about English for Academic Purposes.