Register for tuition-free academic upgrading courses at our North Vancouver and Sunshine Coast campuses.
If you don’t meet the admission requirements for the post secondary program or courses you’re interested in right now, don’t worry. We can help you get there.
Capilano University encourages continuing education by providing academic upgrading for adult learners interested in applying to post-secondary institutions as well as high schoolers looking for dual credits.
Which of our academic upgrading programs will be best for you? Get in touch with our Academic Upgrading team in student services today to learn more.
Academic Upgrading appointments
We support learners with remote and in-person appointments. Remote appointments are conducted via Microsoft Teams. Book your appointment today.
In-person appointments are available Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. — 4 p.m. in Birch Building, room BR344.
You can also contact us any time via email at email@example.com or by calling 604 983 7578.
Adult Basic Education (ABE)
ABE courses are available full-time or part-time, through online learning or in a classroom. The department offers prerequisite courses in math, English, biology, chemistry, physics, computer studies and history. They can help you:
- complete your high school diploma courses and achieve your BC Adult Dogwood Graduation Diploma;
- improve your marks in Grade 11 or 12 courses needed as prerequisites for post-secondary studies;
- improve your GPA in college programs;
- complete university prerequisites; and
- get your English 100 credit and English 12 in the same semester.
If you are new to ABE at CapU, please visit the Apply and Register for New ABE Students page for information about our testing assessment and registration process.
- Students who wish to attend CapU's North Vancouver main campus or CapU Lonsdale can contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Upcoming courses and times can be viewed on the 2023 Summer ABE Timetable (North Vancouver) (pdf)
- Students interested in taking ABE at the kálax-ay Sunshine Coast campus, please contact Education Planning Officer Jutta Angus at email@example.com for more information about courses. Upcoming courses and times can be viewed on the 2023 Summer ABE Timetable (Sunshine Coast) (pdf).
- Students taking ABE at the Ts̓zil Learning Centre in Mt. Currie should contact TLC@capilanou.ca to inquire about upcoming courses and campus services.
If you are a returning (taken ABE classes in the last 2 years) ABE student, please visit the Current and Returning ABE Students page for information about our registration process.
Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents do not pay tuition fees for ABE courses.
International students do pay tuition fees for ABE courses.
All students pay for:
You may apply for the Adult Upgrading Grant (AUG) to help with incidental fees and textbook costs. The grant is based on financial need.
English for Academic Purposes/English as a Second Language (EAP/ESL)
If English is not your first language, EAP provides academic support to prepare you to:
- research and write academic essays
- read academic textbooks and peer-reviewed articles
- understand academic lectures and take notes
- take placements tests and exams with confidence
- deliver academic presentations based on research.