Students who lack the prerequisites for direct entry into MATH 097, 105, 108, 116 or 190 or STAT 101 may choose to write the appropriate Mathematics Placement Test to gain admission into these courses.
Upcoming MPT dates
- June 28, 12 – 2 p.m. Fir Building, Room 205.
- July 11, 1 – 3 p.m. Fir Building, Room 205.
- July 19, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Fir Building, Room 205.
- August 23, 10 a.m. – 12 p.m., Fir Building, Room 206.
Note: Please check this page regularly for updates.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to register for this MPT sitting.
There are currently no appointment times available.
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions.
You must register for this MPT sitting. See "Who has to write the MPT?".
Test results from this testing period are valid for the Fall 2023, Spring 2024 and Summer 2024 terms.
Students are not permitted to write the Precalculus MPT or Calculus MPT twice in a 12-month period or the Basic MPT twice in a 30-day period.
Students wanting to enrol in an entry-level course listed in the Prerequisite Grid (pdf) must write a placement test if they do not satisfy the prerequisite requirements indicated in the grid.
Students who completed their prerequisite course more than 12 months ago are encouraged to write the MPT to assess their current math skills.
- for placement into MATH 097, 190 and STAT 101
- for placement into MATH 105
- for placement into MATH 108, 116
With the exception of the Basic placement test, students are not permitted to rewrite the same level of placement test within a 12-month period.
The waiting period to rewrite the Basic placement test is one month or longer.
To write the MPT you must:
- Have a valid Capilano University student number.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before your preferred MPT sitting takes place:
- Your name and student number
- The date of the MPT sitting you wish to attend
- The level of test that you wish to write (Basic, Precalculus or Calculus)
Reservations are made on a first come, first served basis. Failure to provide all the above information in your email may result in you not being able to write at your preferred time. Only students who have reserved a spot in advance will be permitted to write the MPT.
- Pay the $25 fee from your myCapU student account. For payment options, see How to Pay.
- Arrive at your test session at least 15 minutes before the start of the test.
- Bring the completed MPT Registration Form (pdf) and Photo ID to the test.
- Allow at least one day for the test to be graded and the results recorded. Your test results, which can be picked up from the Registrar's Office (Library Building, room LB152), will include a statement of eligibility for Capilano University mathematics courses, as well as a diagnostic assessment.
Students are strongly advised to prepare for the MPT. Resources and reference links are provided below for each level of the MPT.
Each sample question document states the topics that the corresponding placement test covers. Reference materials are also available at the Library under MPT Course Reserves.
The placement tests are multiple choice. Calculators are not permitted.
- Basic MPT Sample Questions (pdf)
- Basic MPT Sample Answers (pdf)
- MTP Registration Form (pdf)