Students who do not have the prerequisites for MATH 097, 105, 108, 116 or 190 or STAT 101 may choose to write the appropriate Mathematics Placement Test to determine which courses they are qualified to take.
Upcoming MPT dates
- Friday, Nov. 10, 2023, noon–2 p.m., Birch Building room 205
- Wednesday, Nov. 15, 2023, 6–8 p.m., Birch Building room 205
- Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2023, 4–6 p.m., Birch Building room 322
- Thursday, Nov. 30, 2023, 10:30 a.m.–1:30 p.m., Cedar Building room 148
To register for an MPT, enrol yourself on the MPT eLearn page and book a test time.
There are currently no appointment times available.
Test results from this testing period are valid for the Spring 2024, Summer 2024 and Fall 2024 terms.
Students are not permitted to write the Precalculus MPT or Calculus MPT twice in a 12-month period or the Basic MPT twice in a 30-day period.
Students wanting to enrol in an entry-level course listed in the Prerequisite Grid (pdf) must write a placement test if they do not satisfy the prerequisite requirements indicated in the grid.
Students who completed their prerequisite course more than 12 months ago are encouraged to write the MPT to assess their current math skills.
- for placement into MATH 097, 190 and STAT 101
- for placement into MATH 105
- for placement into MATH 108, 116
With the exception of the Basic placement test, students are not permitted to rewrite the same level of placement test within a 12-month period.
The waiting period to rewrite the Basic placement test is one month or longer.
To register for the MPT you must:
- Have a valid Capilano University student number.
- Enrol yourself on the MPT eLearn page and then register for your preferred MPT sitting by clicking the appropriate link and submitting the requested information.
- Reservations are limited and made on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Only students who have reserved a spot in advance will be permitted to write the MPT.
- Arrive at your test session at least 15 minutes before the start of the test.
- Bring photo identification to the test. Examples include a driver's license, student card, passport, or a B.C. Services Card.
- Allow one day for the test to be graded and the results recorded. Your test results, which can be picked up from the Registrar's Office (Library Building, room LB152), will include a statement of eligibility for Capilano University mathematics courses, as well as a diagnostic assessment.
- If there are no appointment times available, check back at a later date or email email@example.com for more information.
Students are strongly advised to prepare for the MPT. Resources and reference links are provided below for each level of the MPT.
Each sample question document states the topics that the corresponding placement test covers. Reference materials are also available at the Library under MPT Course Reserves.
The placement tests are multiple choice. Calculators are not permitted.