If you’re upgrading your skills or taking developmental education or training courses, the Adult Upgrading Grant could help cover your costs.
Adult Upgrading Grants provide funding to help with:
- required fees;
- required textbooks and supplies;
- U-pass or transportation costs;
- unsubsidized child care costs; and
- tuition fees, if applicable.
Which courses qualify?
Most CapU courses below the 100-level qualify for AUG funding. Courses at the 100-level and above are not eligible.
- 2022-23 Eligible Courses (pdf)
How do I apply?
Complete the AUG application form
Make sure you answer all questions on the application. To access the AUG application, download it below and open it in Adobe Reader.
Gather required documents
AUG applications can only be assessed if you submit required documentation, including proof of income. See Page 1 of the AUG application form for a list of acceptable documents.
Include a copy of your PR card (front and back) in PDF format with your application.
Include copies of your SIN card (front and back) in PDF format and "Protected Person Status Document" or "Decision Letter" issued by the Immigration Refugee Board with your application.
Complete the AUG Fee Deferral application form
To avoid late fees or course de-registration, it is important to apply for an AUG fee deferral. Ensure you answer all questions on the application.
Submit your application package
Email firstname.lastname@example.org your AUG application package, which should include:
NOTE: Your complete AUG application package must be received by the Financial Aid office at least 6 weeks before the end of the term.
- Your AUG application
- Your supporting documentation (proof of income, etc.)
- Your AUG fee deferral application
How will I know if I'm approved?
To receive the grants:
- You must be eligible; AND,
- Your courses must be eligible.
The AUG application form outlines the criteria students must meet, including citizenship status, BC residency, and financial need.
- Within one week of receiving your completed application, we will assess your eligibility.
- We will notify you by email letting you know if you are eligible. The grant is not approved and no money is released at this time.
Most courses below the 100-level qualify for AUG funding.
- We will assess your courses after the term add/drop period ends, about one month after classes start.
- We will notify you by email letting you know if your courses are eligible and if a grant has been approved.
- If a grant has been approved, the email notification will also let you know how much the grant is and what costs it is intended to cover.
To receive the grant for your required textbooks and supplies:
- Submit your AUG application;
- Purchase the items; and
- Email your receipts to email@example.com.
Submissions are subject to review and approval.
If you received AUG for a course before and didn’t complete it, you may still be eligible to receive AUG again for the same course.
However, AUG funding for a repeat course is not guaranteed.