General Questions

If English is not your first language or you’ve received your education in a language other than English, you must meet the University's English language requirements to gain admission to CapU.

Learn more on the English Language Requirements Page.

Please also be sure to check your individual program area for English Language requirements.

It is highly recommended by IRCC that you attend in-class options when offered. Under normal circumstances, at least 50% of a program of study must be completed in Canada and in the classroom.

(Updated October 2023)

If you have started or will start your program between September 1, 2022, and August 31, 2023, an extension of temporary distance learning measures will apply:

  1. The time you spend studying online from abroad until August 31, 2023 still counts toward the length of your PGWP.
  2. No more than 50 per cent of the credits earned can be completed outside Canada to remain eligible for a PGWP.
  3. Studies completed online from outside Canada starting on September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of a future PGWP.

Review the full IRCC notice for further details.

(Updated August 2023)

Service Canada is accepting Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications. You can apply online, by mail or in person at a Service Canada Centre.

Travel Questions

As of October 1, 2022 there are no longer any COVID-19-related travel restrictions in place at Canadian borders, but you must still meet all other travel requirements to enter Canada. 

Please visit the Immigration Refugees & Citizenship Canada website to find out if you are eligible to travel to Canada. 

(Updated August 2023)

If you have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit and meet all other travel requirements, you may be permitted to re-enter Canada.

Note: if your study permit expires while you are outside of Canada, you will not be able to return until your study permit extension/renewal is approved and you receive your new valid study permit. Your entry to Canada is subject to Government of Canada travel restrictions.

Ensure you also read the most recent Government of Canada travel advisory for your own country and the countries you may be transiting through before making your travel decisions and arrangements.

Study Permit & Post Graduation Work Permit Questions

  • Time zones: Please account for time zones when you select courses. Some courses have scheduled class times when students are expected to be online and participating in the class.
  • Internet requirements: You will be required to stream videos and video conferencing. You are responsible for all internet costs associated with your connections in your country.
  • Online learning platforms: Learn how to use eLearn, MS Teams, Zoom, WebEx and Skype.
  • Textbooks and resources: The CapU Bookstore will not ship internationally. Most instructors will assign digital resources, but in some cases, you may need to find your books independently on Amazon or from the publisher.
  • Access: Some content posted by instructors can be restricted to viewing within Canada only. This may require a personal VPN set to view content from Canada.

Studies completed online from outside Canada after December 31, 2023 will not be counted toward the length of a future PGWP. If your study permit is not approved by the tuition fee payment deadline of your new term, we strongly recommend that you drop your registered courses and defer your application to the next available intake.

(Updated October 2023)

As per the extension of temporary distance learning measures, all students who started or will start a program of study between September 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023, are required to complete at least 50% of their program (or programs) of study in Canada.

  • For the above group of students, up until December 31, 2023, time spent studying outside of Canada will be counted toward the overall length of the PGWP only if it constitutes less than 50% of the program.
  • Studies completed online from outside Canada starting on January 1, 2024, will be deducted from the length of a future PGWP.

(Updated October 2023)

If your study permit will expire soon and you need more time to complete your program, you should apply to extend your study permit via IRCC Online Services before the expiry date of your study permit.

If your study permit expires while your extension application is being processed, you will still be able to continue studying because you will have maintained (implied) status. We recommend applying three months before your study permit expires to allow for longer processing times.

Follow the step-by-step instructions outlined in Module 9 in your International Student Welcome Guide on e-Learn.

If you’re not exempt from giving biometrics, biometrics will be required to process your application. Applicants for a visitor visa, study or work permit must only give their biometrics once every 10 years. 

Eligible international students can work up to 20 hours/week off-campus during regular school terms/semesters.

From November 15, 2022, until December 31, 2023, you can work more than 20 hours per week off campus while class is in session if you:

  • are a study permit holder and are studying at a DLI full-time (or part-time during your final academic term), OR
  • have been approved for a study permit but haven’t arrived in Canada yet.

In addition, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • IRCC received your application for your current study permit (including extensions) on or before October 7, 2022.
  • You have an off-campus work authorization on your study permit.
  • You are either in Canada or coming to Canada by December 31, 2023.

You can work full-time off-campus on a scheduled break, such as winter or summer holidays or a fall or spring reading break. You must be a full-time student both before and after the break to work full-time.

Note: Study permit holders must balance their study and work commitments, as those who stop studying or reduce course loads from full-time (i.e., at least 9 credits) to only study part-time during the fall and spring terms are not eligible to work off-campus.

Please review Module 8 of your Welcome Guide for International Students on eLearn for more information about working while studying. 

Our in-house licensed Immigration Advisors maintain their scheduled drop-in advising hours for Zoom, phone call or in-person sessions. If you would like to speak to an Immigration Advisor, please join one of the drop-in sessions. 

Note: all CIE advising hours are conducted in Pacific Standard Time (PST). Please use a Time Zone Converter to determine the reciprocal time in your area.

If you have been accepted to CapU but would prefer to start at a later term, you can submit a Request for Deferred Admissions.

Note: This form will only be accepted for students who paid the deposit and received LOA. We will do our best to accommodate requests, but it will depend on availability and space in your program.

Please drop all courses if you registered in any, before submitting a request to defer your admission.

Financial Questions

The application fee is non-refundable. If you choose to withdraw your application after you paid the deposit or you already started your program. Please refer to the Fee Refund page on our website for more info.

guard.me Temporary Health Insurance 

All new CapU international students will be automatically enrolled in guard.me temporary health insurance to ensure your well-being during the 3-month MSP waiting period. MSP is the Medical Services Plan of British Columbia and is mandatory for anyone living in British Columbia for longer than six months. 

Only eligible students can opt out of the guard.me insurance plan. If you are eligible to opt out, you must complete the process, and your application to opt out must be received before the deadline not to be charged for guard.me medical insurance fees.

If one of the following options applies to you:

  1. I have valid BC MSP Coverage: complete online opt-out application
  2. I am studying outside of Canada for a semester: complete Out of Canada Declaration and Waiver and email inted@capilanou.ca. If you decide to come to Canada after choosing this option, you will be required to purchase late arrival coverage, which will be available after the end of add/drop period.

Health & Vaccination Questions

COVID-19 vaccines are available to everyone living in BC. You do not need to be in the BC MSP health insurance program (BC Services card or public health number) to get the vaccine. You do not need to be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency to get the COVID-19 vaccine.

Visit the Province of British Columbia Vaccine Card webpage and follow the steps to receiving your vaccine card.

*The Government of Canada removed all COVID-19 border and travel measures effective October 1, 2022. Read the full announcement.

As an international student, you must have basic and extended health insurance for your entire study period in Canada.

Note: we only acknowledge the guard.me and the Medical Service Plan (MSP) of B.C. as a valid form of insurance. Any international insurance is not acceptable.

Please visit the Health Insurance for International Students page to learn more.

If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, please refer to the BC Centre for Disease Control health information. If you are covered under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), you may access provincial medical services.

If you are a new international student covered under guard.me insurance, please follow the advice and instructions of mobileDOCTOR by guard.me.

Counselling & Mental Health services are available at the North Vancouver campus during the Fall and Spring terms. Dental hygiene services are available during all semesters.

If your temporary permits have expired and you no longer have MSP coverage, you may be provided temporary MSP coverage if:

  • You are currently living in B.C.;
  • You have applied for a new work or study permit (implied/maintained status);
  • You were previously enrolled in MSP as a deemed resident; and
  • Your MSP coverage has expired. 

Contact Health Insurance BC to request this temporary coverage. 

For more information, please visit here.