Government loans and grants can help pay for the costs of your CapU education if you qualify.

You can receive government assistance – including student loans and grants – to help cover many of the costs of your education at CapU. You need to be enroled in an eligible program. Both full-time and part-time students can qualify.

Students from BC

If you’re a BC resident, you apply through StudentAid BC. When you apply you’ll be assessed for both BC (provincial) and Canada (federal government) loans, grants and scholarships. 

StudentAidBC also has programs that help with repaying your student loans. While you’re enroled in full-time studies, you don’t have to pay back the loan or any interest. Six months after your studies end, repayment will begin.

StudentAid BC’s website makes it easy to learn more about qualifying and applying for a loan, grant or scholarship, and repaying your loan. Check out their Help pages for frequently asked questions and answers.

To apply, please visit StudentAid BC.

Remember that applications can take up to two months to be processed, so we suggest you apply at least three months before the start of your first term. You can start your application before you’ve received official admission or registered in classes.

You’ll have to submit a separate application through StudentAid BC for each term. The final deadline to submit your application is six weeks before the end of the term.

Funding is only released on or after the first day of classes, so if you need your loan to pay your tuition, apply for a Fee Deferral once you receive your notification letter from StudentAid BC.

Am I considered a full-time or part-time student for a loan?

If you’re a BC resident and enroled in an eligible program, you need to have at least 60% of a full-time course load to be considered a full-time student by StudentAid BC.

At CapU, this means you have to be taking a minimum of nine credits at the 100 level or higher, and you can’t include any repeat courses. A full course load is 15 credits.

If you’re a student with a recognized permanent disability as approved through StudentAid BC, at CapU you have to be taking a minimum of six credits to be considered a full-time student by StudentAid BC.   

If you’re enroled in between 3 and 8.75 credits at the 100 level or higher, StudentAid BC will consider you to be studying part-time. You'll need to complete the Part-Time Studies application.  

Students from other provinces

If you’re from outside BC, the rules vary from province to province. See more details for Out-of-Province Students.  

International students

If you’re an international student, you can learn more about your financial aid options on the Scholarships, Bursaries & Awards / International Students page.

Government of Canada

The Canadian government also has information and tools to help you save, plan and pay for your education.

Repaying your loan

While you are enroled in full-time studies you are not required to make payments on the principal of your loan, and the interest is paid by the provincial and federal governments.  

Repayment will begin six months after your studies end.

StudentAid BC links
Student Loan Repayment Webinars

The National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) offers on-demand online webinars on the student loan repayment process.  

The webinars help students understand their obligations when repaying their student loans, and provide answers on:

  • how to save money
  • how to avoid repayment difficulties
  • how to maintain your student loan

Frequently asked questions about StudentAid BC and CapU

Your enrolment will automatically be confirmed when:

You need to ensure that:

  • your legal name on your CapU record matches your legal name on your approved loan application;
  • you're enroled in the program that matches the program that your loans are approved for;
  • you're registered in the minimum required eligible course load, and
  • your registration dates match the dates for your approved loans.

It depends. If there’s a balance owing on your student account, your student loans will be sent to CapU to cover the amount owing on that day, or the total amount of your loan, whichever is less.

Grant amounts are not sent directly to the school. 

If the student loan payment creates a credit balance in your account, CapU will send you a refund cheque.

It's important for you to monitor your student account, as the loan amount provided to CapU may not cover the total amount charged to your student account for the term.

StudentAid BC requires you to maintain the minimum course load for the entire study period for which you've received funding.

If you have to withdraw from a course for extenuating circumstances – often related to a medical situation – you may be able to appeal to StudentAid BC.

Courses that are a repeat/duplicate of courses you have previously received credit for can't be counted towards the minimum required courseload for student loan funding and interest-free status.

StudentAid BC states that students repeating courses solely to improve their grades are not eligible for financial assistance (whether you paid for tuition costs on your own or were in receipt of student assistance).

StudentAid BC may consider an appeal if you have passed a course but did not obtain the grade required to proceed to the next level of the program.

To request this consideration, complete a StudentAid BC appeal request form (available in their Form Library under "Appeal Request Forms – Repeat Course") and submit it to StudentAid BC for their decision.

Appeals can take 6-8 weeks to be reviewed by StudentAid BC.

If you're planning to enrol in courses at both CapU and another post-secondary institution during the same term, you may be eligible for StudentAid BC funding and/or to maintain interest-free status if:

  • The post-secondary institution you are attending, in addition to Capilano University, is a designated school as defined under StudentAid BC regulations; and
  • The course(s) taken at the other institution is/are an essential element of your program of study and count for credit towards your credential at your "home institution"; and
  • Your combined total credits at both institutions are equivalent to a 60% courseload (9 credits) for a full-time loan (40% courseload (6 credits) for students with approved disability status with StudentAid BC), or between 20% to 59% courseload (3 to 8 credits) for a part-time loan; and
  • You will complete your courses within in four months.

During your split enrolment, your home institution (the school from which you will receive your credential) is responsible for providing StudentAid BC with confirmation of your enrolment, irrespective of which institution you are taking the greater courseload at.

If your home school is Capilano University, download and complete the Split Enrolment form (pdf) and submit it to the Financial Aid Office of the other institution, who must then send it back to CapU. If Capilano University is not your home institution, please contact the Financial Aid office of your home institution.

If your student loan is through a provider other than StudentAidBC, please contact Financial Aid & Awards prior to completing the Split Enrolment form.