Transfer credit is coursework completed in another school, college or university that may count toward your Capilano University program.

How is transfer credit used?

Your previous coursework may cover a prerequisite you need or a course in the Capilano University program you’re applying for.

Use the BC Transfer Guide to find out if you have a course that’s eligible for transfer credit.

How do I arrange for transfer credit?

Once you submit your official post-secondary transcript(s), your transfer credit will be assessed by an admissions officer when you're admitted to CapU, if your courses are listed in the BC Transfer Guide.

We'll confirm your transfer credit by sending an email to your myCapU email account. Once the email arrives, visit the Academic Advising webpage to book an appointment with an academic advisor.

At your appointment, the advisor will help you fill out a program planner, taking into account your transfer credits.

My courses aren’t in the BC Transfer Guide. What do I do?

If your courses are not listed as transferable in the BC Transfer Guide, we can still evaluate them. 

For each course you want us to review you'll need to submit:

  1. A detailed course outline.
  2. A completed Request for Transfer Credit Form (pdf)

Follow the same process if you have completed coursework that has not been assigned transfer credit at the time of admission. 

A detailed course outline is sometimes called a syllabus or an itinerary. You may have received the outline on your first day of class or you may need to ask your school registrar for a copy.

A detailed course outline is not the same as a course description that can be found in an academic calendar, since course descriptions do not include enough information.

Make sure the outline is for the year and term you took the course.

Only outlines in English are accepted. If your course outline is in another language you need to have it translated by a certified translator before you send it to us.

The course outline you send us must include:

  • a course objectives statement
  • a detailed outline of the course units
  • the course length (in weeks, excluding the final exam period)
  • the number of lecture hours per week (including laboratory/tutorial/seminar/studio work)
  • the number of required hours per week spent in open laboratory work or open studio work
  • the evaluation and grading method
  • a list of the textbooks used
  • the course credit amount

Mail or bring your documents to:

Registrar’s Office
Capilano University
Library Building, room LB152
2055 Purcell Way
North Vancouver, B.C.
V7J 3H5

If you have a Capilano University email account, email your documents in PDF format only to:


How long does course evaluation for transfer credit take?

The evaluation takes 6–8 weeks and may take longer between June and August.

The evaluation takes 6–8 weeks and may take longer between June and August.

Can my high school coursework count for transfer credit?

Two high school programs offer courses that qualify:

  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • Advanced Placement

Visit the BC Transfer Guide to find out which courses qualify and the grades you’ll need to apply for transfer credit.

I’ve been admitted but my transfer credits haven’t been assigned

We’ll review your courses and tell you if we can accept them. Follow the steps to request transfer credit listed above in "My courses aren’t in the BC Transfer Guide."

Is there a maximum amount of transfer credit allowed?

The maximum number of transfer credits you may use depends on your program. The table below displays the standard requirements.

Since some diploma and degree programs have different requirements, it’s important to book an appointment with an academic advisor by visiting the Academic Advising page. The advisor will help you fill out your program plan.

Program Outcome

Regular Number of Credits

Residency Requirement

Maximum Credits for Transfer

Minimum Credits that need to be Completed at Capilano U











Advanced Diploma










Related resources

Prior Learning

Earn academic credits for life and work experience with Prior Learning Assessment (PLA).

Prior Learning Assessment


Have questions?

Registrar's Office

Transfer Credit

Library Building, room LB152