Security guards are here 24/7/365. They patrol the campus and monitor the CCTV cameras to ensure CapU is a safe environment to work, learn and play.
Campus Security responds to all types of incidents, medical and non-medical, suspicious activities and hazards on campus property.
Security will work with the appropriate emergency service agency when required and they also liaise with the North Vancouver RCMP.
All guards are trained in First Aid, Level 2 and will provide medical support when needed.
Call 911 first for life-threatening and emergency situations, then notify Security at 604 984 1763 that 911 was called.
Capilano University security and first aid
Security and first aid are located in the Arbutus Building, room 016 (First Aid) and 017 (Security office).
Available 24/7, first aid on campus is administered by campus security with a fully qualified OFA2 (Occupational First Aid Level 2) attendant.
RCMP non-emergency line
604 985 1311
Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line
Anonymity is guaranteed
1 800 222 TIPS (8477)
Download the CapU Safe App
CapU Safe is the best way to stay up-to-date in the event of a safety or security issue, including an emergency or weather-related campus closure.
Access to important safety resources all in one place and receive safety notifications the moment they are issued.
Find a service
In the event of an emergency, call 911 and notify Campus Security.
To report an incident in a non-emergency situation, including a crime or suspicious activity, complete the Report an Incident form.
To arrange for a Safe Walk, call Campus Security at 604 984 1763 or use the CapU Safe App to submit a request.
Capilano University has a CapU Safe App – A free safety and security mobile toolkit for your phone or tablet, as well as an emergency notification centre. This app enhances campus safety & security by quickly connecting subscribers to available services, including emergency push notifications and alerts. The CapU Safe App is free and recommended for CapU students, employees and campus visitors.
Interactive, built-in features and a user-friendly design make it easy for subscribers to access safety resources, such as a flashlight, emergency contacts and campus maps.
Subscribing to CapU Safe allows you to:
- Self-declare your vaccination status to the University
- Receive push notifications and alerts about security incidents or campus closures
- Phone Campus Security and/or 911 with the touch of a button
- Email Campus Security your location
- Arrange for a Safe Walk to your car
- Use the friend walk feature to designate a contact person and send them your travel plan
- Sound a loud alarm
- Report suspicious behaviour and/or send a photo
- Download emergency preparedness procedures (e.g. earthquake, fire, bear sighting, etc.)
All security guards are trained in First Aid Level 2. Call 604 984 1763 for assistance or visit the security office located on the lowest level of the Arbutus Building, room AR017.
Security/First Aid does not dispense medication. Standard over-the-counter medications are sold in the bookstore located on the ground level of the Birch building.
Lost and Found is located in the security office, Arbutus Building, room AR017. Items are held for 30 days and then donated or recycled.
- Perishable items and food and drink containers are not collected.
- Capilano University IDs are returned to the Registrar's Office on the main floor of the Library building.
- Credit cards and bank cards are destroyed after 24 hours.
- IDs, passports and other government-issued papers are kept for 30 days and then returned to the appropriate government institutions.
- Unclaimed glasses are donated to the Canadian Lions Eyeglass Recycling Centre.
Visit the security office in person or call 604 984 1763.
For bear, cougar, coyote or other wildlife sightings on campus, call security at 604 984 1763, who will notify the District of North Vancouver authorities.
Do not approach or interact with any wildlife.
Security guards are not authorized to provide access to buildings and rooms unless approval has been received from the appropriate departmental authority.