Here are the permits you’ll need to study at Capilano University, including if you plan to work while you’re a student in Canada.

Study permits and visas

All international students studying in Canada in a program lasting more than 6 months require a Study Permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

You will need a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) and a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL, if applicable) from CapU when you apply for a study permit. If you require a PAL, it will be issued along with your LOA upon your successful admission. 

International students from certain countries may also need to have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Learn more about TRV or eTA from the IRCC.

To fulfill the conditions  for off-campus work or a post-graduation work permit, you need to be a full-time student. At CapU, this means being registered for a minimum of nine (9) academic credits. 

Apply for a study permit

Extending your stay

If you already have a study permit, be sure it extends throughout your CapU study period.

If you need to change the conditions of your study permit or extend your stay in Canada as a student, you must apply to the IRCC. Learn more about extending study permits on the IRCC site. 

Working in Canada

International students may work in Canada while taking classes at CapU, if they hold a valid study permit that includes a condition permitting them to work on or off-campus. Learn more about the rules for working off-campus and on-campus from the IRCC.

Capilano University's Career Development Centre can help you look for a job while in Canada.

Work as a co-op, practicum or intern student

If you’re studying in a program that has a mandatory co-op or internship practicum, you need to obtain a co-op work permit.

If you have not arrived in Canada yet, you will also need to apply for a co-op work permit alongside your study permit. 

If you are already physically in Canada and do not have a co-op work permit, please contact your program department to obtain a support letter for your co-op work permit application. 

*Note: There is a temporary policy change for Co-op work permits and off-campus work authorization in place until April 30, 2024. Please learn more about the temporary measure from the IRCC.

Working after graduation 

If you want to work in Canada after graduating from CapU, you’ll need to obtain a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). Please find the most up to date of information for PGWP on the IRCC website.

Please review the ‘study permit & post-graduation work permit' section in our Frequently asked Questions for International Students webpage. 


Have questions?

Wong and Trainor Centre for International Experience (CIE)

604 990 7914
604 983 7576 (fax)
Library Building, room LB127

India office: subcontinent1@capilanou.ca