Lights. Camera. Action! Come and learn from industry professionals at CapU’s state-of-the-art Bosa Centre for Film and Animation. Combine practice with theory to create magic.
We'll give you all the tools to build your technical knowledge and creative confidence. You'll learn the theory and history of cinema and develop your critical thinking skills. At the same time you'll work through and gain skills in the different technical departments. Your collaboration with fellow students on a variety of projects will give you the chance to try out different filmmaking roles as you decide on your focus. You'll be working with up-to-date professional equipment that includes an 8000 sq. ft. sound stage, 3D camera rigs and a 3D editing lab.
- Understand and analyze historical, technical, philosophical and theoretical trends in the national and global cinemas that will broaden their understanding and perspective of the cinema and further inform their creative analysis and decision making.
- Demonstrate levels of practical, critical, analytical and research skills, in terms of both the creative and producing components of filmmaking, that will broaden their range of applications of visual communication in order to expand their potential to realize and create meaningful career opportunities.
- Ability to match their unique skills and vision to individual career goals and aspirations, combined with the abilities to problem solve and innovate within both the technical and creative components of filmmaking.
- Exhibit and maintain the highest levels of professionalism throughout the filmmaking process, using a collaborative approach to problem-solving and situation analysis.
- Achieve the necessary levels of inter-personal skills and confidence through self-analysis, learning, mentorship, responsibility and hands-on experience.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 123.00
Students starting in their baccalaureate degree on or after Fall 2018 and graduating on or after June 2022 must meet Cap Core graduation requirements in addition to their program requirements.
Continuation Requirement: Advancement to the Degree at third year is highly competitive and continuation is based on the following criteria:
1) Successful completion of the diploma course work, or equivalent;
2) Students with the highest GPA (calculated on grades from all Motion Picture Arts courses in the Diploma) will be offered continuance to third year;
Total numbers of students who are offered continuance will be set annually based on available spaces.
Those students who are not offered, or do not accept continuance into third year will be eligible to apply for the Diploma credential if course requirements are met.
Oct 1, 2019 - Mar 3, 2020
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 6, 2020
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 24, 2020 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
The letter of intent must not exceed two pages and should outline the applicant's interest in the program and reason for applying. It should be written in Calibri or Helvetica font, 12 point, and applicant name and student number must be at the top of all pages.
The entrance questionnaire will be sent out upon receipt of application.
For selected applicants, an interview will take place with a panel of two faculty members. Admission is competitive and only the most qualified applicants will be invited to an interview.
- Advancement to the Degree at third year is highly competitive and continuation is based on the following criteria:
- Successful completion of the diploma course work, or equivalent;
- Students with the highest GPA (calculated on grades from all Motion Picture Arts courses in the Diploma) will be offered continuance to the third year;
- Total numbers of students who are offered continuance will be set annually based on available spaces.
- Those students who are not offered, or do not accept continuance into the third year will be eligible to apply for the Diploma credential if course requirements are met.
Returning and Transferring Students:
- Students who wish to complete the degree must meet the Continuation Requirements above and admission will be based on seat availability.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU