Education Assistant Certificate
Faculty of Education, Health & Human Development
School of Education & Childhood Studies
Connect your passion for supporting children and youth with a career in the school system.
The Education Assistant (EA) Certificate combines theory with practical strategies for working with children or adolescents.
Education Assistants support students in Kindergarten-grade 12 who present with a wide range of abilities. They're in demand, with a critical shortage of trained and certified EAs for on-call, part-time or full-time positions.
You'll develop the tools, strategies and skills needed for the EA role and put it all together in a 150-hour practicum.
- Effectively support and advocate inclusionary practices for all students Kindergarten – grade 12 presenting with a wide range of abilities.
- Use appropriate technology to support students presenting with a wide range of abilities so that these students can participate productively as members of a community of learners.
- Apply practical knowledge of accommodation strategies to transfer a student’s IEP (individualized education plan) into appropriate and meaningful activities.
- Demonstrate mastery upon completion of EA program by achieving minimum program B average in all coursework, and credit status in practicum.
- Support a work atmosphere of team collaboration conducive to performance excellence, personal growth, professional growth and work satisfaction.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 30.00
Continuation requirement: a student who fails any course may not be allowed to continue in the program.
Graduation requirement: students must pass all courses and practicum achieving a CGPA of B or better.
May 1, 2018 - Jul 2, 2019
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Mar 4, 2019
Fee Payment Deadline
May 1, 2019 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
BC Secondary School graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent; or Mature Student status
English 12 or English 12 First Peoples, and Apprenticeship & Workplace Math 11 or Foundations of Math 11 or Pre-Calculus 11.
Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
Applicants are required to attend an information session and will be assessed on the basis of an interview with faculty, past academic experience and relevant experience working with children and adolescents. Submission of a covering letter (stating reasons for wishing to apply to this program), resume, three reference letters and clear criminal records search are required.
Standard First Aid certificate, CPR certificate, TB test.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University 2018-2019 Calendar (pdf).
Education Assistant Certificate Program (EA) Admission Process
Email email@example.com to add your name to our interest list. We can then let you know when the dates are set for the program information meetings. An RSVP will be required.
It is important to attend the MANDATORY program information meeting; a requirement for program entry. Meeting dates, when set, will be posted on the University Events Calendar.
If after attending the mandatory information meeting you are interested in applying, you would need to:
- Submit an online application to the University.
- Submit a completed package of admission documents to the EA department by the deadline provided at the information session.
- Complete a Criminal Record (pdf) check.
At the information meeting, you will receive a full package detailing the complete admission process.