Early Childhood Care and Education Diploma
Faculty of Education, Health & Human Development
School of Education & Childhood Studies
The Early Childhood Care & Education (ECCE) Diploma gives students the competencies and knowledge required to work with children under the age of five in licensed preschools and childcare centres.
Education courses in the diploma meet the requirements of the Early Childhood Educator Registry for the ECE Certificate to Practice; Infant/Toddler Certificate to Practice and/or the Special Needs Certificate to Practice. Students who successfully complete an ECCE diploma are eligible to apply to the degree program.
Students in the diploma program are eligible to apply to the ECE Registry (Ministry of Children and Family Development) for the following credentials:
- ECCE Basic Certificate
- Infant Toddler Certificate
- Special Needs Certificate
- Demonstrate pedagogical practices that are connected to contemporary theoretical approaches of learning, thinking and teaching in the field of Early Childhood Care and Education.
- Work collaboratively with children, families, colleagues and community to provide relevant and responsive caring and educational experiences.
- Use ethical pedagogical practices that demonstrate an understanding and sensitivity to local and global issues related to Early Childhood Care and Education.
- Engage in pedagogical practices that demonstrate mastery of the competencies required to be licensed and employed as an Early Childhood Educator in British Columbia.
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 62.50
C- is the minimum acceptable grade in all courses within the diploma. Students must also meet the university graduation requirements.
Sep 4, 2018 - Jun 5, 2019
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 8, 2019
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 19, 2019 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
BC Secondary School graduation (Grade 12) or equivalent; or Mature Student status
English 12 or English 12 First Peoples. Recommended but not required: A minimum grade point average of 2.0 (60%) calculated on English 12 or English 12 First Peoples and three academic Grade 12 courses. Admissions preference may be given to students with English Lit 12 as one of the three academic Grade 12 courses.
Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).
Have questions about this program?