604.986.1911 ext. 2544
Cedar Building, room CE351
MA, Tourism Management, Royal Roads University, 2009.
Certificate, Microsoft Office Specialist for Office 2003, Master Instructor, 2005.
Diploma, Provincial Instructors (PID) for British Columbia, Vancouver Community College, 1993.
Diploma, Certified Travel Counsellor (CTC), Canadian Institute of Travel Counsellors, 1980.
"Committed to life long learning."
John Brouwer (MA, Royal Roads University, 2009) is an experienced educator in tourism. He has been associated with the industry for over 40 years working with travel agencies, tour operators, airlines and education institutions.
He is an award winning travel agent and educator working with clients to maximize their vacation experiences, and provide careers for individuals seeking to work in the tourism industry. He has held management positions in agencies and private institutions, which expanded his experiences in leadership, human resources and strategic planning.
In collaboration with local and national businesses, regulatory bodies, and industry organizations, Brouwer has developed training programs that have been taught across Canada.
These projects helped industry owners adapt to changes, provided effective learning outcomes and developed standards of training for government regulations. Projects such as the B.C. Travel Insurance Guide and Examination are still the standard of training today.
Brouwer's work as an educator and administrator in the private and public sectors of post-secondary education has helped career minded individuals in achieving the goals that they had set out for themselves. His courses connect current industry skill requirements with relevant research and practical application.
This dedication to quality education has enabled him to work with the Ministry of Advanced Education in B.C. as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in hospitality and tourism and chair of audit teams that prepared reports on private post-secondary institutions.
He continues to teach tourism and hospitality related business courses at the university and college levels.
Working with students to help them achieve their career objectives through education is a fulfilling experience particularly when the subject is tourism. I enjoy classes where we have exchanges in shared experiences and when we learn something new in an ever changing world.
This comes from the passion for traveling I have had since a young boy thanks to my parents who exposed me to the world. This passion of learning about diverse cultures, languages and food while finding so much common ground with the people I have met has helped me in the classroom.
- CITC/British Tourist Authority "BritAgent Study Course". Develop the Canadian version. (2000)
- Canadian Tourism College: "International Tariff & Ticketing Manual", author of the student manual, developed the curriculum, instructor manual, exercises, quizzes and exams (2001+).
- Canadian Tourism College: "Domestic Tariff & Ticketing Manual", author of the student manual, developed the curriculum, instructor manual, exercises, quizzes and exams (2002+).
- Canadian Tourism College: "Accounting for the Tourism Industry, with a Focus on BSP Canada", author of the student manual, developed the curriculum, instructor manual, exercises, quizzes and exams (2003+).
- Canadian Tourism College: "BSP Canada - Online" course, developed the content, exercises (2004)
- CITC/Insurance Council of BC: "Travel Insurance Study Manual", author manual and exam questions for industry certification (2004).
- Airline Industry Practices and Procedures textbook, exclusive use by Douglas College and Eton College Canada (2006 to present)
- Education Editor - Travel Health Insurance Association: Industry Study Guide – Completion Fall 2016
- CITC Ontario: "Airline Tariff & Ticketing – International", co-authored technical information re-write for 3rd edition, April 1995
- CITC Ontario: "Airline Tariff & Ticketing – Domestic", co-authored technical information re-write for 3rd edition, April 1995
- CITC National: "Air Canada’ E-Ticket for SABRE or Apollo", co-authored technical information for 1st edition, summer 1997 (Distance Learning Program versions)
- CITC Ontario: "Airline Tariff & Ticketing – Domestic", co-authored complete re-write for 4th edition, August 1998
- Travel Health Insurance Association (THiA): "Insurance Industry Study Guide", education design of study guide, to be released Winter 2017
Subject Matter Expert
- Fares & Ticketing: Canadian 3rd Edition, Education Systems, 2004, ISBN: 1-930102-16-X
Text Book Review
- Cooper, R., & John, A. (n.d.). Macroeconomics - Theory Through Application - Attributed. Retrieved from http://www.saylor.org/books/ (reviewed for BC Campus) 2013
Ches Chard Award, ACTA/Air Canada, 2019.
Top Sales, President's Club, Thomas Cook Travel, 1985-88.