The Animation Fundamentals Citation introduces students to the process of creating traditional and computer animation.
In this program, you'll learn and practice animation techniques through hands-on exercises.
The program covers drawing for animation, design, animation principles and digital animation.
- Design and prepare a portfolio of artwork suitable for applying to a full-time post-secondary animation program.
- Produce a portfolio that integrates the principles, techniques and skills acquired in their coursework.
- Develop introductory level competencies in the areas of character and location design, life-drawing and animation.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, dedication and work ethic required to be a successful member of a creative team.
- Create a future career plan of action to by continually developing a portfolio through learning and practice.
Total program credits: 7.50
Jun 4, 2019 - May 5, 2020
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Mar 9, 2020
Fee Payment Deadline
Apr 28, 2020 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
Here's what you need to get started on your portfolio
Submit an online application to Capilano University, this is required before you submit your portfolio.
Applicants must submit their portfolio through the online portal SlideRoom.
The portfolio should consist of 5-10 images demonstrating your artistic and creative skills. Post your best and most recent work. The portfolio should consist of a variety of drawings and/or designs and may include:
- Quick sketches, gesture drawings and sustained drawings of the human figure, clothed or nude or animals in various action poses.
- Compositional drawings of objects or locations include household objects, architectural drawings, layouts, still life, etc.
- Original drawings or designs showcasing your drawing abilities and personal interests.
- Traditional and hand-drawn work should be scanned. If you don't have access to a scanner check your local library or school. In a pinch a digital camera will work, however, the quality will likely not be as good due to lighting issues (like using a flash). Photographing artwork on an overcast day without a flash will give better results.
The SlideRoom portal for the 2020 summer Admission period will open on October 1, 2019. Once you create your account, you can begin uploading your portfolio and other requirements. Take your time; you may edit your submission as much as you like but remember that we can review it only after you click the SUBMIT button! SlideRoom will charge you a small fee to submit your portfolio.
What not to include in your portfolio
Originality is vital. Do not submit work that is not your own. If you have to include drawings you made from an anatomy book or any kind of group project, make sure you label what is not yours and whose work it is. If we see work that is not yours but looks like you're trying to pass it off as yours, it will reflect poorly on the whole portfolio.
Drawing from photographs is less impressive than drawings from life because, with a photo, much of the work is done for you already (and it usually looks flat and lifeless anyway). If you have to send us drawings you copied from photos, make sure you still have examples of life drawing and original sketchbook work.
- Apply to Capilano University before submitting your portfolio to SlideRoom.
- Complete your SlideRoom submission on or before Friday, February 28, 2020.
- The SlideRoom portal will open October 1, 2019, and close February 28, 2020.
If possible, applicants are encouraged to attend one of our free open house sessions before they apply, in order to see the facilities, talk to students, observe their work and ask questions about our programs.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU