The two-year 3D Animation for Film & Games diploma program offers students the training necessary to bring 3D computer-generated characters and environments to life.
Students develop the artistic skills needed for a rewarding career in the computer graphics and animation industries.
Graduates will complete a professional-quality demo reel.
- Demonstrate the skills, theoretical knowledge, and professional attitude necessary to function as a production artist in the animation industry.
- Develop a plan to continue with lifelong learning, creative achievement, and professional growth.
- Work in a creative production in a professional, responsible and confident manner.
- Define and apply the concepts and production skills required to develop professional quality animation from initial concept through final production.
- Create and maintain a professional portfolio that meets industry expectations and showcases their artistic and technical achievements.
- Demonstrate the knowledge, dedication and work ethic required to be a successful member of a production team.
- Collaborate on team projects while being responsible for creating and managing time, resources and outcomes.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 64.50
Continuation Requirement: Students must successfully complete all 3D Animation courses in one term before continuing to the next term.
Oct 1, 2019 - Apr 7, 2020
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 6, 2020
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 24, 2020 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
Here's what you need to get started on your portfolio
Submit an online application to Capilano University, this is required before you submit your portfolio.
Applicants must submit their portfolio through the online portal SlideRoom.
The portfolio must consist of 15–24 images demonstrating your artistic and creative skills. Post only your best and most recent work. The portfolio should consist of a variety of the following types of artwork:
Life Drawing: Quick sketches, gesture drawings and sustained drawings of the human figure, clothed or nude or animals in various action poses. The drawings should show accurate proportions and your ability to draw structure (the simple shapes that make up the form). Make sure these drawings show a diversity of poses and angles (i.e. More than front on or profile views). Studies of anatomy, faces, hands, etc… are good additions.
Prop and Location Designs: This would include drawings of objects, location designs, scenery, vehicles, architectural drawings, still life, etc...These drawings should convey an understanding of line, light and shadow, colour, design and perspective.
Original Character Designs: This will showcase your interest in animated characters. This may include action poses, character expressions, model sheets, turnarounds and illustrations.
Original drawings, designs, sculpture, paintings or computer graphics work:
These will showcase other related artistic abilities and interests. This may be a selection of artwork that best describes your personal artistic interests and influences as well as the depth of your artistic achievements and may include website design, computer graphics, 3D images, motion graphics, fine art, photography or sculpture work.
Traditional and hand-drawn work should be scanned. If you don't have access to a scanner check your local library or school. In a pinch a digital camera will work, however, the quality will likely not be as good due to lighting issues (like using a flash). Photographing artwork on an overcast day without a flash will give better results.
In addition to uploading a portfolio, you will also be required to answer some questions
that address your interests and reasons for applying to the 3D Animation for Film and
Games diploma program.
The SlideRoom portal for the 2020 fall Admission period will open on October 1, 2019.
Once you create your account, you can begin uploading your portfolio and other
requirements. Take your time; you may edit your submission as much as you like but
remember that we can review it only after you click the SUBMIT button! SlideRoom will
charge you a small fee to submit your portfolio.
What not to include in your portfolio
Originality is vital. Do not submit work that is not your own. If you have to include drawings you made from an anatomy book or any kind of group project, make sure you label what is not yours and whose work it is. If we see work that is not yours but looks like you're trying to pass it off as yours, it will reflect poorly on the whole portfolio.
Drawing from photographs is less impressive than drawings from life because, with a photo, much of the work is done for you already (and it usually looks flat and lifeless anyway). If you have to send us drawings you copied from photos, make sure you still have lots of examples of life drawing and sketchbook work.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Apply to Capilano University before submitting your portfolio to SlideRoom.
- Complete your SlideRoom submission on or before Friday, February 28, 2020.
- The SlideRoom portal will open October 1, 2019, and close February 28, 2020.
If possible, applicants are encouraged to attend one of our free open house sessions before they apply, in order to see the facilities, talk to students, observe their work and ask questions about our programs.
Candidates may be assigned a project or requested to attend an interview to complete the selection process.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU