The Summer 2021 (North Vancouver) intake for the Health Care Assistant certificate has been cancelled; however, applications are currently open for the Spring 2022 intake.
If you have questions about the Health Care Assistant program, or would like information about our next intakes, please contact email@example.com.
The Health Care Assistant (HCA) program combines theory courses, lab skills and clinical practicums in real-world health care settings.
Students learn to provide personal care to clients and residents in complex care, specialized dementia care, selected acute care settings and in the community.
The HCA certificate is an 8-month full-time program offered in an accelerated program that students can complete in 7 months of study.
Classes are taught by experienced health professionals who share their stories about clinical practice.
- Provide person-centred care and assistance that recognizes and respects the uniqueness of each individual resident or client.
- Use an informed problem-solving approach to provide care and assistance that promotes the physical, psychological, social, cognitive and spiritual well-being of clients/residents and families.
- Provide safe, competent and organized care and assistance for clients/residents experiencing complex physical, cognitive and/or mental health challenges.
- Communicate clearly, accurately and sensitively with clients/residents and other members of the healthcare team to contribute to the achievement of goals and effective working relationships.
- Perform the care provider role in a reflective, responsible, accountable and professional manner recognizing and responding to own self-development, learning and health enhancement needs.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 30.00
Graduation requirement: Students must obtain at least a B- grade in each theory course (HCA 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 and 105) and a credit in HCA 106, 110 and 112.
Feb 2, 2021 - Dec 7, 2021
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Nov 15, 2021
Fee Payment Deadline
Dec 20, 2021 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
Applicants to the HCA program at Capilano University must meet the English Language Competency HCA Program Entry (pdf).
All students who are interested in the HCA program are strongly encouraged to attend an information session.
A Criminal Record Clearance is required by the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General. The required Criminal Record Check is arranged by Capilano University. Details will be provided at the information session.
After acceptance to the program, students will be required to submit additional documentation as required by relevant health authorities in order to participate in a practicum. Students must complete the practicum to be eligible for program completion.
At a minimum, this includes the following:
- Standard first aid including CPR (level C) with Automated External Defibrillator (AED);
- TB skin test and/or chest x-ray to rule out active TB;
- Successful completion of Food Safe Level 1 within 3 years prior to program commencement;
- Up to date Immunizations in accordance with Practice Education Guidelines of BC.
The activities of the HCA program involve bending, lifting up to 23 Kg (50 lbs), squatting, standing and walking for extended periods (can be up to 8 hours). Additionally, during clinical practicums, students will care for clients who are at end of life and some who may be aggressive due to their cognitive status.
The following is recommended:
- 40 hours of volunteer work at a Complex Care Unit.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU