Canada Travel Update: The Government of Canada will remove all COVID-19 border and travel measures effective October 1, 2022. Read the full announcement here.

General Questions

The majority of classes at Capilano University will be offered in-person, with some courses being offered via adapted modes of delivery

When registering, each course will indicate its mode of delivery so that students will be able to see whether a course is offered in-person (face-to-face), online (web-based), mixed mode (a combination of online and in-person) or off-site (practicums or community-based delivery).

We are aware that in some countries, IELTS and TOEFL English Language proficiency testing may be unavailable due to COVID-19 interruptions.

As an alternative, we are temporarily accepting the Duolingo English Test (DET) as proof of English language proficiency for all applications received until the end of the Fall 2022 term. Please be sure to check your individual program area for English Language requirements.

Until August 31, 2023, the time you spend studying online from within Canada still counts toward the length of your PGWP. However, it is highly recommended that you attend in-class options when offered.

Starting September 1, 2023, you must complete 50% of your program in-class in Canada.

(Updated September 2022)

Distance learning measures have been extended to August 31, 2023 to provide a transition period for international students to come back to Canada to complete their studies. 

International students studying online from abroad or who submit a study permit application no later than August 31, 2022, will continue to be able to complete up to 100% of their program online without affecting their PGWP eligibility. However, study time completed from abroad starting on September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of their post-graduation work permit, regardless of when a student began their studies.

The extension of temporary distance learning measures will affect those starting programs from September 1, 2022, to August 31, 2023. Specifically, these measures will apply:

  1. No more than 50% of the credits earned can be completed outside Canada to remain eligible for a PGWP.
  2. Studies completed online from outside Canada starting on September 1, 2023, will be deducted from the length of a future PGWP.

Review the full IRCC notice for further details.

(Updated September 2022)

  • Time zones: Please account for time zones when you select courses. Some courses have scheduled class times when students are expected to be online and participating in the class.
  • Internet requirements: You will be required to stream videos and video conferencing. You are responsible for all internet costs associated with your connections in your country.
  • Online learning platforms: Learn how to use eLearn, MS Teams, Zoom, WebExSkype.
  • Textbooks and resources: The CapU Bookstore will not ship internationally. Most instructors will assign digital resources, but in some cases, you may need to find your books independently on Amazon or from the publisher.
  • Access: Some content posted by instructors can be restricted to viewing within Canada only. This may require the use of a personal VPN set to view content from Canada.

Service Canada is accepting Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications, you have the option to apply online or by mail, or in person at a Service Canada Centre.

Travel Questions

As of October 1, 2022 the Government of Canada will remove COVID-19 border and travel measures. International students must still meet all other travel requirements to enter Canada. 

Please visit the Immigration Refugees & Citizenship Canada website to find out if you are eligible to travel to Canada. 

(Updated September 2022)

If you have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit, and meet all other travel requirements, you may be permitted to re-enter Canada.

Please note: if your study permit expires while you are outside of Canada, you will not be able to return until your study permit extension/renewal is approved and you receive your new valid study permit. Your entry to Canada is subject to Government of Canada travel restrictions.

Please ensure you also read the most recent Government of Canada travel advisory for your own country, and the countries you may be transiting through before making your travel decisions and arrangements.

(Updated September 2022)

Study Permit & Post Graduation Work Permit Questions

Yes, you are permitted to take online courses outside of Canada until August 31, 2023. To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in 9 or more credits (9 credits usually equals 3 courses).

However, please be mindful that you must have applied for a study permit before starting your program and your study permit must eventually be approved to be eligible for the post-graduation work permit program (PGWP). 

(Updated September 2022)

For those who are currently outside of Canada and cannot travel at this time, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has confirmed that you’re still eligible for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP) program, provided that you:


  • you have a study permit, or
  • you’ve been approved for a study permit, or
  • you applied for a study permit before starting your study program (your study permit must eventually be approved)

If you have been enrolled in a program that was in progress in March 2020 or started your program between spring 2020 and summer 2022, you can complete up to 100% of your studies online from outside Canada between March 2020 and August 31, 2022, because of a temporary COVID-19 policy. 

If you have started or will start a program between fall 2022 and summer 2023, You must complete at least 50% of your program inside Canada (online or in-class).

The time spent studying outside of Canada before August 31, 2023, won’t be deducted from the length of your PGWP as long as it constitutes less than 50% of your program of study.

You can’t count the following time toward the length of a PGWP:

  • time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2023
  • time spent studying before you applied for a study permit

Review the full IRCC announcement for more details.

(Updated September 2022)

Yes! Despite the impacts of COVID-19 on Study Permit processing time, we strongly encourage all eligible applicant to submit their application as soon as they receive their Letter of Acceptance from CapU.  

If you’re applying for a study permit, you should apply online, whether you’re outside of Canada or already in Canada.

When you apply, you should:

If you can’t apply online because of a disability or because there’s a problem with the online application, you can apply on paper.

Please continue to review Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada COVID-19: International Students for ongoing updates.

(Updated January 19, 2022)

If your study permit will expire soon and you need more time to complete your program, you should apply/renew to extend your study permit via IRCC Online Services before the expiry date of your study permit.

If your study permit expires while your extension application is being processed, you will still be able to continue studying because you will have maintained (implied) status. It is recommended that you apply 3 months before your study permit expires to allow for longer processing times.

Follow the step-by-step instructions outlined in Module 9 in your International Student Welcome Guide on e-Learn.

As a temporary measure, you may be exempt from giving biometrics if you're applying from within Canada

  • to extend your stay as a student, worker or visitor
  • to restore your status as a student, worker or visitor
  • for a work or study permit
  • for a visitor visa
  • for a temporary resident permit

This applies to all new applications as well as applications already in progress. It applies even if

  • your application form for a work permit, study permit or visitor visa says it's for applicants outside Canada
  • our online application system asks you to pay a biometric fee (CAD $85)

This temporary measure does not apply if you're outside Canada.

If you are outside of Canada:
If you’re not exempt from giving biometrics, biometrics will be required to process your application. Many applicants can now give biometrics, as most visa application centres (VACs) and U.S. Application Support Centers (ASCs) are open. Learn more.

(Updated September 2022)

On October 7, 2022, Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) announced that the limit on off-campus work hours international students are allowed to work has been temporarily lifted to address Canada's labour shortage.

Prior to this announcement, eligible international students were allowed to work 20 hours/week off-campus while class is in session.

From November 15, 2022, until December 31, 2023, international students who are in Canada and who have off-campus work authorization on their study permit will not be restricted by the 20-hour-per-week rule.

Study permit holders are still expected to balance their study and work commitments, as those who stop studying or reduce course loads from full-time (i.e., at least 9 credits) to only study part-time during the fall and spring terms are not eligible to work off-campus.

Please review Module 8 of your Welcome Guide for International Students on eLearn for more information about working while studying. 

Our in-house licensed Immigration Advisors maintain their scheduled drop-in advising hours for Zoom, phone call or in-person sessions. If you would like to speak to an Immigration Advisor, please join one of the drop-in sessions. 

Please note, all CIE advising hours are conducted in Pacific Standard Time (PST). Please use a Time Zone Converter to determine the reciprocal time in your area.

Financial Questions

If you have been accepted to CapU this Spring or Summer 2023, but would prefer to start at a later term, you can submit a Request for Deferred Admissions. Please note, we will do our best to accommodate requests but it will depend on availability and space in your program.

If you choose to withdraw from a program, full refunds can only be provided to students who de-register prior to the first day of classes. Please refer to the Fee Refund page on our website for more info.

Please be sure to drop all courses before submitting a request to defer your admission.

(Updated September 2022) 

guard.me Temporary Health Insurance 

All new CapU international students will be automatically enrolled in guard.me temporary health insurance in order to ensure your well-being during the 3 month MSP waiting period. MSP is the Medical Services Plan of British Columbia and is mandatory for anyone who will be living in British Columbia for longer than six months. Opt-out Options for the Spring 2023 Intake

Please ensure you opt-out by January 17, 2023 if one of the following options applies to you:

  1. I have valid BC MSP Coverage
    If you are covered by BC MSP, you are eligible to opt-out of the guard.me insurance plan. To opt out, you must complete the online application and provide proof of MSP coverage for the entire term or your opt-out will be declined. If your application to opt-out is received prior to the deadline and is submitted successfully, you will not be charged for guard.me medical insurance.

  2. I am studying outside of Canada for the Spring 2023 semester
    If you will not be in Canada for the Spring 2023 semester, you may opt out by successfully completing the Out of Canada Declaration and Waiver. If your application to opt-out is received prior to the deadline and is submitted successfully, you will not be charged for guard.me medical insurance. Please note, if you decide to come to Canada after choosing this option, you will be required to purchase late arrival coverage. This will become available for purchase after the end of add/drop period.

Note: the opt-out option will become available on the guard.me/capilanou webpage at the end of November, 2022.

(Updated September, 2022)

Health & Vaccination Questions

COVID-19 vaccines will be available to everyone living in BC. You do not need to be in the BC MSP health insurance program (BC Services card or public health number) to get the vaccine. You do not need to be a Canadian citizen or have permanent residency to get the COVID-19 vaccine. However, you must have a public health number in order to register online. If you do not have a public health number, you can register for your vaccine by calling the province-wide call centre (1-833-838-2323) or in-person at a ServiceBC office.

More information is available on the Immunize BC website here

Visit the Province of British Columbia Vaccine Card webpage and follow the steps to receiving your vaccine card.

If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, please refer to the BC Centre for Disease Control health information. If you are covered under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), you may access provincial medical services.

If you are a new international student covered under guard.me insurance, please follow the advice and instructions of mobileDOCTOR by guard.me.

Counselling & Mental Health services are available at the North Vancouver campus during the Fall and Spring terms. Dental hygiene services are available during all semesters.

If your temporary permits have expired and you no longer have MSP coverage, you may be provided temporary MSP coverage if:

  • You are currently living in B.C.;
  • You have applied for a new work or study permit (implied/maintained status);
  • You were previously enrolled in MSP as a deemed resident; and
  • Your MSP coverage has expired. 

Contact Health Insurance BC to request this temporary coverage. 

For more information please visit here.

(Updated September, 2022)