Students interested in obtaining a two year jazz studies diploma would apply for one of our Bachelor degrees and apply to receive the diploma after successfully completing two years.
Students can apply to the Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies - Performance/Composition or the Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies Education and work towards earning this credential.
- Perform, improvise, compose, and collaborate fluently in a variety of jazz idioms.
- Communicate their musical ideas, knowledge, and experiences with others.
- Research, discuss, analyze, and notate music of a sophisticated harmonic, rhythmic, and formal character.
- Remember and assimilate a wide range of music for use in jazz performance and composition.
- Integrate theoretical concepts with practical performance, improvisation, and composition skills.
- Produce scholarly work that shows a firm contextual understanding of music theory and history.
- Exercise self-discipline and a strong work ethic in the development of performance and composition skills.
Total program credits: 66.00
Continuation Requirement: To maintain satisfactory standing, all Jazz Studies students must be enrolled in a full-time course of study (at least nine credit hours) that includes a reasonable number of courses specific to their major (normally three) and must achieve a term grade point average above 1.8.
Students whose primary instrument is piano are required to complete 2.0 credits of Secondary PMI in lieu of JAZZ 116 and 117. Students with extensive training in piano may be allowed to take 2.0 credits of Secondary PMI in lieu of JAZZ 116 and 117 subject to Department approval.
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU