The number of hours you spend on English Language skill development depends on the course level you are taking:
- EAP Intermediate & Advanced courses are 20 hours per week;
- EAP + Academics are 12–16 hours per week to allow you to also take 100-level academic courses at the same time;
- Each EAP course takes 15 weeks during Fall, Spring and Summer terms.
Intermediate and Advanced level students spend 20 hours in English classes every week on:
- grammar and writing (eight hours),
- reading and vocabulary (eight hours), and
- listening and speaking (four hours).
EAP + Academics
EAP 090 students spend 16 hours in English classes every week on:
- grammar, writing and listening (eight hours), and
- reading, vocabulary and speaking (eight hours).
At this level, you may also register in one CapU course in either Business or Arts and Sciences in the Fall or Spring terms. (See EAP + Academics below.)
Note: You need a B average (73%) at the EAP 090 level before you can move on to EAP 100/101.
EAP 100 and EAP 101 are taken together. They are academic credit-bearing courses that count as breadth electives in both Arts and Science as well as Business programs.
Students spend 12 hours in English classes every week on:
- EAP 100: Grammar, writing and listening (eight hours).
- EAP 101: Grammar, speaking, pronunciation and vocabulary (four hours).
If you take EAP 100 and EAP 101 in the Fall or Spring terms, you may also register in one or two CapU courses in either Business or Arts and Sciences. (See EAP + Academics above)
Note: You need a B+ average (77%) in EAP 100 and EAP 101 to move out of EAP and into full Capilano University academic programs.
All EAP levels run over 15 weeks (four or five days per week) in the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms.
At CapU, you can begin your university program at the same time as you take your EAP courses.
- EAP 090: You may also register in one CapU course in either Business or Arts and Sciences in the Fall or Spring terms.
- EAP 100 and 101: In the Fall or Spring terms you may also register in one or two CapU courses in either Business or Arts and Sciences.
- EAP 100 and EAP 101 are taken together. These are academic credit-bearing courses that may count as breadth electives in some Capilano University programs. Check the for more information.
Note: Students who complete the EAP 100 and 101 courses with a B+ (77%) or higher will meet the Capilano University requirements for academic programs. These students will not have to provide a language test score.
See the "EAP & Academics" menu above.
- Domestic students (Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents) do not pay tuition for EAP courses from the 050 to the 090 levels.
- Domestic students will pay between $500-$800* in fees for each EAP course.
- International students must pay tuition and fees.
- All students will pay for textbooks.
*Costs are in Canadian dollars and are estimates. Costs may change at any time.
- Click on the Apply Now button and create an account in the EducationPlannerBC website.
- Once you have created your account, complete the online application for the English for Academic Purposes program and indicate the term.
- Fall: September - December
- Spring: January - April
- Summer: May - August
- Be sure to pay for the application.
Submit to the Capilano University Admissions Department required documentation:
- High-school transcripts (to show proof of graduation);
- Post-secondary transcripts;
- English proficiency test results (if you have them - if you don't have any, we can test you, visit the Placement Test page for more information);
- Proof of Citizenship or Permanent Residency.
All of these documents must be official, original documents translated to English.
If you don't have documentation, contact the Admissions Department to see if there is anything else you can provide to them.
- Phone: 604 984 4900
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Library Building, room LB152
Wait for an email from the EAP department.
We will email you to let you know when you need to come to register for the course(s) or to register for the EAP Placement Test.
Visit the EAP Placement Test page for updated testing dates.