Full transit services operating today in Metro Vancouver
All buses are running regular scheduled service to campus today.
Updated 10:00 a.m. November 27, 2019
Transit strike averted! A tentative agreement has been reached in the TransLink labour dispute. Delays and longer than usual wait times are anticipated as the company works to restore service on routes operated by the Coast Mountain Bus Company today. Commuters are advised to visit Translink’s website for more details.
2:00 p.m. November 26, 2019
Bus, SeaBus and maintenance employees of the Coast Mountain Bus Company are planning to escalate job action with a full shutdown of bus and Seabus service on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday this week (November 27-29) unless an agreement can be reached today.
We recognize this escalation in job action will cause disruption for everyone.
Although strike action is ongoing, Capilano University will remain open throughout the week, classes are proceeding and students and faculty are expected to attend. Students who use transit are advised to make alternate arrangements for their commute on these dates. We encourage all transit users to stay up to date on the situation over the next week.
News and updates: Translink’s website provides current transit strike information.
Sign up for alerts: Get transit disruption notifications from Translink on your mobile device.
Tips for your commute:
- This job action does not apply to services operated by BCRTC (SkyTrain), West Vancouver Transit, West Coast Express, HandyDART and First Transit (shuttles on Bowen Island and in Langley).
- On the North Shore: West Van Transit operates buses 214, 215, 227 and 255 with service in North Vancouver. Bus 255 will continue service to the main campus during the transit strike. Bus 214 stops at Seymour Parkway and Seymour Blvd followed by a 10-minute walk to main campus, and bus 227 from Lynn Valley stops on Arborlynn Drive followed by a 20 minute walk to campus via Inter River Park.
- From Vancouver/Burnaby/Surrey/Tri-Cities: Take the Skytrain to downtown. West Van’s Bus 250 departs from Georgia Street to Park Royal; from Park Royal transfer to bus 255 to main campus
- Carpool: Capilano Students’ Union has created Capilano Carpool, a Facebook group for students to connect about ridesharing to main campus.
- EVO: Parking for EVO cars has been extended on these dates. Students using an EVO carshare vehicle for commuting can park in any regular parking space on campus.
During the transit strike dates the Birch Building will be open from 6:00 a.m. for students who arrive early at campus. However, food services will start at their regularly scheduled hours.
Students who experience difficulties in commuting to campus are encouraged to discuss their situation and options with their instructor(s).
Submitted by: Linda Munro