Counsellors are Here-to-Help.
Are you struggling? Do you need to talk?
We understand that students sometimes experience difficulties or face obstacles that hinder their personal or academic success, we encourage you to talk to a counsellor. The sessions are free and confidential.
Counsellors can talk to you about a number of issues including:
- assertiveness skills
- eating disorders
- grief and loss
- goal-setting and motivation
- relationship difficulties
- stress management
- suicidal feelings, and
- time management.
How to get help
North Vancouver students
To make an appointment with a personal counsellor, visit our office (Birch Building, room BR267) or call us on 604 984 1744.
Sunshine Coast students
To make an appointment with a personal counsellor , you can do this in person at the front desk reception, or by calling 604 885 9310.
If we are unavailable during office hours and your issue can't wait, you can call the North Vancouver counselling office at 604 984 1744.
Please note: If our counselling services are closed and you need urgent support, please call:
- 1 800 SUICIDE : 1 800 784 2433 (24/7, anywhere in BC)
- BC Crisis Centre: 604 872 3311 (24/7, Vancouver)
- BC Crisis Centre: 1 866 661 3311 (24/7 Sunshine Coast / Sea to Sky)
- Online Chat Service for Youth (noon to 1 a.m.)
- Online Chat Service for Adults (noon to 1 a.m.)
- Crisis Line Daytime: 604 885 6101 (8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, Sunshine Coast only),
- After Hours Crisis: 604 740 0442 (3:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekends, Sunshine Coast only)
- St Mary's Hospital: 604 885 2224 (Sechelt)
Resources for students
If you're feeling overwhelmed, we have a number of handouts you might find helpful. You'll find them on the Coping Skills page. If you're having difficulty with your coursework, you'll find a list of handouts at Study Skills.
Resources for faculty and staff
Visit Helping a Student in Crisis to find out what to do if a student you know is in need.