Counsellors are Here-to-Help.
During Capilano University’s reduction of on-campus services, counselling appointments will be available via telephone.
Please call 604 984 1744 to arrange a phone appointment with a counsellor or email email@example.com.
For urgent situations outside of these hours, you can connect with Here2Talk, a free, confidential counselling and community resources service for all students registered in B.C. post-secondary institutions. Here2Talk is available 24/7, so you can call, download the app, or visit their website any time.
You can also call the 24-hour BC Crisis Centre line at 604 872 3311.
Are you struggling? Do you need to talk?
We understand that students sometimes experience difficulties or face obstacles that hinder their personal or academic success, we encourage you to talk to a counsellor. The sessions are free and confidential.
Counsellors can talk to you about a number of issues including:
- assertiveness skills
- eating disorders
- grief and loss
- goal-setting and motivation
- relationship difficulties
- stress management
- suicidal feelings, and
- time management.
How to get help
North Vancouver students
To make an appointment with a personal counsellor, visit our office (Birch Building, room BR267) or call us on 604 984 1744.
Sunshine Coast students
To make an appointment with a personal counsellor , you can do this in person at the front desk reception, or by calling 604 885 9310.
If we are unavailable during office hours and your issue can't wait, you can call the North Vancouver counselling office at 604 984 1744.
Please note: If our counselling services are closed and you need urgent support, please call:
- 1 800 SUICIDE : 1 800 784 2433 (24/7, anywhere in BC)
- BC Crisis Centre: 604 872 3311 (24/7, Vancouver)
- BC Crisis Centre: 1 866 661 3311 (24/7 Sunshine Coast / Sea to Sky)
- Online Chat Service for Youth (noon to 1 a.m.)
- Online Chat Service for Adults (noon to 1 a.m.)
- Crisis Line Daytime: 604 885 6101 (8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday, Sunshine Coast only)
- After Hours Crisis: 604 740 0442 (3:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Friday; 8:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekends, Sunshine Coast only)
- St Mary's Hospital: 604 885 2224 (Sechelt)
Resources for students
If you're feeling overwhelmed, we have a number of handouts you might find helpful. You'll find helpful resources for coping skills and for developing study skills at Resources for Students.
Resources for faculty and staff
Visit Resources for Faculty and Staff to find out what to do if a student you know is in need.
Still have questions?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
In addition to the emergency crisis help listed above, there are many other resources outside CapU that may be of help. The Community Resources List (pdf) includes help for alcohol and drug addiction, sexual assault, domestic abuse, gambling addiction and legal advice.