Academic Advising

Advisors can help guide you through the requirements of your program. By empowering you with personalized planning, we support you to make informed decisions about your academic future.

We can assist you with understanding pre-requisites, the impact of a failed course, academic probation, or required to withdraw status. Advisors also provide assistance with course selection and planning, assessment of graduation requirements, awareness of university policies & procedures, and guidance on credit transfers to other institutions.

Academic Advising is located in the Registrar's office Library Building, room LB152. You can find the location of the Library Building on the Campus Map (pdf).

Not necessarily, but we would love to meet with you to map out a successful journey for you at Capilano University.

As the first step on that path, we encourage you to understand your program requirements using the Program Planners developed from the University Calendar.

Please do note that during registration periods we are very busy and therefore would recommend meeting with us at least a month prior to the start of the semester.

Make sure you have read and understood all related information such as calendar descriptions of program requirements.

Research any related information to your program at Capilano University, and (if you are planning to transfer) the university you will be transferring to.

Write down specific questions ahead of time.

An appointment is booked in advance and must be booked in-person (Library Building, room LB152) or via phone, whereas a drop-in requires you to come to the Registrar's Office to reserve a spot for the day you wish to see an advisor.

Drop-ins are provided on a first-come, first-served basis and are not guaranteed. Both appointments and drop-ins are subject to availability.

You may either call 604 984 4900 or visit the Registrar's Office (Library Building, room LB152) during office hours to book an appointment with an Academic Advisor.

If Advising appointments are unavailable, you may go to the Registrar's Office (Library Building, room LB152) to request a drop-in, which is offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

If you are unable to meet with an academic advisor, don't worry! There are still a number of options for you, depending on the nature of your inquiry:

  • Email your academic advising questions to advising@capilanou.ca
    (During peak periods, it may take a little longer for us to respond to emails)
  • Take your questions to your Faculty/Department/Instructor
  • Refer to the University Calendar
  • Seek assistance for general inquiries from the Registrar's Office in Library Building, room LB152 during office hours

For CapU students taking courses at the kálax-ay Sunshine Coast campus in Sechelt, please book an appointment with your local academic advisor by calling 604-885-9310 or email sunshinecoast@capilanou.ca.

CapU students who live on the Sunshine Coast and commute to the North Vancouver campus for their programs may also access this service.

Academic Requirements

If a course has a pre-requisite, it means certain academic requirements must be met prior to taking the course (please see example below). Courses that are in progress at the time of registration will satisfy pre-requisites.

You can check for course pre-requisites in your myCapU Account and the Find a Program or Course search.

Course pre-requisites graphic

A co-requisite is a course which must be taken at the same time as another course (please example below).

Meaning of co-requisite

Some programs at Capilano University require students to take breadth electives.

These electives allow you to take courses outside of your programs, so you can learn and experience different ways of looking at your academic work and your world.

Some programs have a list of approved breadth electives that count towards your credential while others do not. If you are unsure of what to take, it is best to ask an Academic Advisor or your department.

If you want to change your program, you will need to reapply for admissions. International students must check with the Centre for International Experience (CIE) prior to changing their program.

We encourage all students considering changing their program to meet with an Academic Advisor beforehand, so that we make the transition as smooth as possible.

All programs that lead to a Capilano University Credential have a GPA requirement. Some programs have a continuation program.

Please refer to the University Calendar to check GPA and continuation requirements for your specific program.

Most Bachelor Degree programs require 3.00 credits of Q/A. Please refer to your Program Profile in the University Calendar to check if your program requires a Q/A course. A list of all our Q/A courses are available on our website.


Most programs allow for a maximum of 19.00 credits per term.

Credits are the value given to each course you complete. Each program requires the completion of a certain number of credits for a student to be eligible to graduate.

For example, most Diploma Programs require the completion of 60 credits whereas Bachelor Degree Programs require the completion of 120 credits. Some programs require the completion of more credits, such as the Bachelor of Early Childhood Program, Bachelor of Legal Studies (Paralegal), Bachelor of Motion Picture Arts, to name a few.

If you are unsure of how many credits are required to complete your program, please refer to the University Calendar, consult with your program area, or meet with an Academic Advisor.

If you have taken a course that is required for your program, which you have failed, you are permitted to repeat the course. Please note that a "repeat override" is required from your department/Instructor for a third attempt.

If you have taken a course that is not required for your program, which you have failed, speak with an academic advisor to determine other courses that can be taken instead of repeating the failed course.

As per our graduation policy, students are required to follow their program profile for the year in which they started their program.

Current and historical program profiles are available in the Capilano University Calendar for your start year. For example, if you started your program in Fall 2018, you will need to refer to the 2018/19 Calendar.

If you are a new student, we recommend attending one of our course planning workshops. If you cannot attend the course planning workshop you will be able to find your planner online.

If you are a continuing student and your planner is not available online, you can request it from the academic advising team via email advising@capilanou.ca or attend an appointment.

All students in Cohort Programs will receive information for course registration via their CAPU email account.

Online registration is by Registration Time Ticket. To view your Registration Time Ticket, go to your myCapU account and choose "Check your Registration Status" under "Registration." The details of your day and time to register will be posted approximately four (4) weeks before registration starts.

A step-by-step registration tutorial is available to help you register for your courses. If further assistance is required, please request assistance from the Registrar's Office in Library Building, room LB152.

Academic courses at Capilano University are labelled 100, 200, 300 and 400 levels.

  • 100-level and 200-level courses are considered lower-level courses and mostly taken in Year 1 and 2, for example: BADM 101, BFIN 241, and ENGL 100.
  • 300-level and 400-level courses are considered upper level courses and usually taken in Year 3 and 4, for example: ECCE475, ENGL 300, and BMKT 401.
  • All other courses are considered preparatory/upgrading, for example MATH097, BBIO044. Preparatory/upgrading courses cannot be used for credit towards an Academic Program.

CAPU students wishing to take courses for Capilano University credit from another school, must follow the following steps:

  1. Meet with an Academic Advisor to determine course equivalencies
  2. Apply for a Letter of Permission through the Registrar's Office
  3. Once studies is complete, submit an official transcript to the Registrar's Office

Academic Standing

Academic standing is a university distinction designed to help you understand how the university views your term/cumulative standing.

It is important for your progress and timely graduation to be in good academic standing. Students who have completed all their program requirements but are not in good academic standing may not be able to graduate.

Please refer to details in the academic standing policy (pdf) or speak with an Academic Advisor.

Capilano University considers the higher grade for calculation of GPA when a course is repeated. However, the old grade cannot be removed from your transcript.


Provided you have completed your program requirements according to University Calendar for the year you commenced you will be able to apply for graduation. If you are unsure whether you have meet requirements you can meet with an academic advisor.

Yes! All students who are enrolled in a program that leads to a Credential must submit an application for graduation. Students who are in their last term of studies may submit an online application to graduate. Go to Graduation to check graduation and convocation dates. 

Most programs require a GPA of 2.00 to graduation however, some of the specialized programs require a higher GPA. Please refer to the University Calendar for information on your programs required GPA for graduation.

Transfer credit is when one institution recognizes education completed at another. If you are admitted to Capilano University and have already completed courses at another post-secondary school, you can apply to use the credits you've already earned to fulfill some of the requirements for your credential.

To learn more about transfer credit, go to Transfer Credit.

For courses taken at most BC institutions, the BC Transfer Guide can help you assess whether a course is transferrable or not.

If your courses has been taken at an out of province or at an international institution, these will need to be assessed by the school. This can take up to six weeks.

Transfer credit will be assessed by the admissions officer at the time of admission to Capilano University if the courses are listed on the BC Transfer Guide.

To learn more, go to Transfer Credit.

Effective Fall 2019, students must complete a minimum of 50% of their program course credits at Capilano University. Some programs may have additional residency requirements. These requirements will be included in the program requirements listed within the University Calendar.

International Students/Immigration

Only Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISAs) can provide immigration advice to students. These advisors are located in the Centre for International Experience.


Have questions?

Academic Advising

604 984 4900
604 984 1798 (fax)
Library Building, room LB152