If you are in Canada:

Yes. You are required to have a valid study permit throughout the duration of your program. During academic sessions, you are still required to comply with your study permit conditions. If you are enrolled in a program that is 6 months or less in duration, you do not need a study permit.

If you are outside of Canada:

Technically no, however, please be aware that if you do not have a study permit, have not been approved for a study permit, or have not applied for a study permit before the start of your program, you will not be eligible for the post-graduation work permit program (PGWP). Please understand the implications to your PGWP eligibility should you decide to take courses online without an approved study permit.

Please continue to review Government of Canada COVID-19: International Students for ongoing updates.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If you are already in Canada and have a valid study permit: 

Time spent studying online counts towards post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility and length of the PGWP issued, provided you meet all other PGWP criteria. 

If you applied for your study permit before starting your program:

  • Any time spent studying online from outside Canada since spring 2020 now counts toward the length of a PGWP as long as you eventually receive study permit approval. (Previously, only the time spent studying online after you were approved for a study permit counted).
  • You won’t have time deducted from the length of your PGWP for studies you complete outside Canada until after August 31, 2022.

How much of your program can you complete online?

All your time studying online outside Canada between spring 2020 and August 31, 2022, counts toward the length of a PGWP. This applies even if you’re completing 2 study programs.

If you’re completing 2 study programs, you can finish 100% of your studies online if the programs were ongoing or started between March 2020 and spring 2022, and

Time spent studying outside Canada after August 31, 2022, won’t count towards the length of a PGWP.

Please continue to review Government of Canada COVID-19: International Students for ongoing updates.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If your study permit will expire soon and you need more time to complete your program, you should apply/renew to extend your study permit via IRCC Online Services before the expiry date of your study permit.

If your study permit expires while your extension application is being processed, you will still be able to continue studying because you will have implied status. It is recommended that you apply 3 months before your study permit expires to allow for longer processing times.

Follow the step-by-step instructions outlined in Module 9 in your International Student Welcome Guide on e-Learn.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Due to COVID-19 concerns, many biometrics collection locations, including Service Canada Offices, have suspended collection. According to a recent CBIE/IRCC update, you are exempt from giving biometrics if you're applying from within Canada

  • to extend your stay as a student, worker or visitor
  • to restore your status as a student, worker or visitor
  • for a work or study permit
  • for a visitor visa
  • for a temporary resident permit

This applies to all new applications as well as applications already in progress. It applies even if

  • your application form for a work permit, study permit or visitor visa says it's for applicants outside Canada
  • our online application system asks you to pay a biometric fee (CAN$85)

This temporary measure does not apply if you're outside Canada.

Biometrics fees:
You do not have to pay the biometric fee when you submit your application, even if the system tells you to pay it. If you paid the fee,

  • You will automatically be refund the fee once your application is finalized
  • the online application system will automatically send you a biometric instruction letter (BIL) telling you how to give your biometrics
    • You do not need to give biometrics, and you can ignore this letter.

If you are outside of Canada:
Applicants are advised to apply for their study permit extensions with a letter of explanation for documents they are unable to provide due to the current pandemic, and provide them when they are able to. While your study permit extension application is under review, you will have implied/maintained status until you can submit required documents and a decision is made. Please note, IRCC is currently offering extensions to submit biometrics until centres re-open. Learn more.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

The number of hours you are entitled to work as an international student remains unchanged during the time in-person classes are cancelled. If you are enrolled as a full-time student in the Fall or Spring terms and your study permit allows you to work on- or off-campus or both, you can work up to 20 hours per week off campus. Please review Module 8 of your Welcome Guide for International Students on eLearn for more information about working while studying. 

While travel is currently challenging, if you have a valid study permit or were approved for a study permit, you may be permitted to enter Canada during a travel restriction period. Please note: if your study permit expires while you are outside of Canada, you will not be able to return until your study permit extension/renewal is approved and you receive your new valid study permit. Your entry to Canada is subject to Government of Canada travel restrictions. Please reference the Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): International students webpage and the Government of Canada, Flying to Canada Check List for a full list of requirements. 

Before planning your travel, please also review our Travel & Self-Isolation Information for International Students webpage to understand Capilano University's additional requirements for your return to Canada.

Please ensure you also read the most recent Government of Canada travel advisory, the travel advisory for your own country, and the countries you may be transiting through before making your travel decisions and arrangements.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Please reference the Government of Canada Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): International students webpage and the Government of Canada, Flying to Canada Check List for a full list of requirements to travel to Canada. 

Please also review our Travel & Self-Isolation Information for International Students webpage to understand Capilano University's additional requirements before coming to Canada.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Service Canada is accepting Social Insurance Number (SIN) applications, you have the option to apply online or by mail, or in person at a Service Canada Centre.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

While we are aware that many students are facing uncommon challenges due to reduced ability to work and other financial pressures, at this time our fee payment deadlines have not changed.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

International students may be eligible for financial assistance during the COVID-19 pandemic, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements. Visit the COVID-19: Financial support for people link on the Government of Canada website, and use the Financial help tool to discover what benefits or financial aid you may be eligible for.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If you are experiencing an unexpected financial emergency or unmet financial need, you may be eligible for Covid-19 Emergency Financial Assistance from Capilano University. Please note, the amount of funding per student is limited, and there are a limited number of funds available overall. Please visit COVID-19 Emergency Financial Assistance for details on how to apply.

If you have been paying into employment insurance, and you meet the minimum eligibility requirements, then yes as an international student, you can apply to receive employment insurance benefits.

We recognize this is a very challenging time to be away from home and that you may be feeling isolated. Currently, public health officials are recommending we take social distancing measures and stay home when possible. At this point especially, it is extremely important to communicate often with friends and family online or over the phone.

If you would like to talk to a counsellor, Student Counselling is available by phone for students who are currently residing in British Columbia. You can email counselling@capilanou.ca or phone 604 984 1744. For immediate crisis situations or after hours support, you can reach the 24-Hour Distress Line at 604-872-3311 or 1 800 SUICIDE (1 800 784 2433). More Student Support Services are provided in our Campus Services information. The Here2Talk program is also available to all students currently registered in a BC post-secondary institution, offering access to free, confidential counselling and community referral services, conveniently available 24/7 via app, phone and web.

If you would like to connect with an international student mentor and discuss ways to get engaged while maintaining social distance, please email iengage@capilanou.ca (from your CapU email address) with 'Looking for an International Student Mentor' in the title subject line. In your email, please include your full name, student number, hobbies, program of study and your country of origin.

The CIE has two social media platforms we use to connect with our international student body. We encourage you to start following our CIE (@capilanoucie) and International Leadership and Mentorship Program (@capuilmp) on Instagram and Facebook to stay engaged.

Be sure to check out what the Capilano Student Union (CSU) is doing, as they have activities, clubs and events for all students. Also, continue to check the Co-Curricular Record and Career Hub for workshops, events and job opportunities.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

If you have any questions or concerns about COVID-19, please refer to the BC Centre for Disease Control health information. If you are covered under the BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), you may access provincial medical services. If you are a new international student covered under guard.me insurance, please follow the advice and instructions of mobileDOCTOR by guard.me.

(Updated January, 2022)

If your temporary permits have expired and you no longer have MSP coverage, you may be provided temporary MSP coverage if:

  • You are currently living in B.C.;
  • You have applied for a new work or study permit (implied/maintained status);
  • You were previously enrolled in MSP as a deemed resident; and
  • Your MSP coverage has expired. 

Contact Health Insurance BC to request this temporary coverage. 

For more information please visit here.

(Updated January 20, 2022)

Our in-house licensed Immigration Advisors maintain their scheduled drop-in advising hours, but are conducting sessions by phone and zoom. If you would like to speak to an Immigration Advisor, please fill out the Immigration Advising Request Form, or join the Drop-In session on zoom and you will be contacted in the order that requests are received. Please ensure you are available during the upcoming scheduled advising hours until you have been contacted.

Please note, all CIE advising hours are conducted in Pacific Standard Time (PST). If you are requesting to be contacted outside of BC, please use a Time Zone Converter to determine the reciprocal time in your area.

(Updated January, 2022)