Can I make a counselling appointment, if I am not a student?
No, you must currently be enrolled in at least one class to be eligible for a counselling or career appointment.
What is career assessment testing?
Career Assessment Testing measures your interests, personality, values, etc. This information may help you to choose an occupation that is a good fit for you.
How do I book an appointment?
To book an appointment, please call the Counselling & Learning Support Department at604 984 1744, or drop by our office in Birch 267.
What is the difference between a Counsellor, a Psychiatrist, and a Psychologist?
- Counsellors in post-secondary settings typically have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Counselling Psychology (Behavioural Sciences such as counselling psychology, clinical psychology, & social work). They are trained to help their clients work through and resolve emotional and personal problems, such as anxiety, homesickness, addiction, eating disorders, depression, and relationship difficulties. They do not prescribe medication.
- Psychiatrists have a degree in medicine, with specialized training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness, emotional disorders, and behavioural problems. They often choose to prescribe medication in their treatments.
- Registered Psychologists are registered with the College of Psychologists of British Columbia. They may specialize in the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental illnesses, emotional disorders, learning disorders, neurological disorders, and behavioural problems. They do not prescribe medication.
Counsellors adhere to professional standards of ethics and confidentiality.
What you say to a counsellor will not normally be shared with anyone outside of the department, without your authorization. However, there are few exceptional circumstances where a counsellor may be required by law to disclose information about you:
- If a counsellor believes you present an imminent danger to yourself or to others
- If the life or safety of a third person is endangered
- If there is an indication that a minor (under the age of 19) is being abused or neglected
- If disclosure of information is made necessary for legal proceedings
In addition, a counsellor may occasionally consult with another counsellor in the department regarding a client’s concerns. Please share with your counsellor any questions or concerns you have regarding confidentiality.
Do I need to register before I can attend a workshop?
Most workshops are run on a drop-in basis and will end in time for you to attend your next class. If a workshop does require registration, it will be advertised on our website -Student Success Workshops & Support. Please contact the Counselling & Learning Support department at 604 984 1744 for more information, or visit us in Birch 267.
Are workshops free?
Yes, workshops are free.
I am not a Capilano University student, can I still attend a workshop?
Workshops are offered to registered Capilano students only.
What do I need to bring with me?
Please bring your pen and paper for note-taking. Please feel free to bring your lunch and a friend.