Key orientation dates:
- Aug. 26-27: SmartStart is an optional learning and academic skills orientation workshop series, which is open to all CapU students.
- Tuesday, Aug. 27: Indigenous Student Orientation for all CapU Indigenous students.
- Wednesday, Aug. 28: CapU Residence Move-in
- Thursday, Aug. 29: Start Right Here New Student Orientation (mandatory for all new domestic and international students)
- Friday, Aug. 30:
- New International Student Orientation (mandatory for all international students)
- Explore the City Social [event]
- Saturday, Aug. 31: CapU Residence Orientation
- Tuesday, Sept. 3: First day of Fall 2019 classes and Faculty and Program Orientations. You will receive information about your program orientation such as time and location directly from your program. Classes before 5:30 p.m. on this day will be cancelled.
Please be there by 8:30 a.m. at the latest. Check-in will start as early as 7 a.m. See you here!
Only the ones that are mandatory. For example, all new students must attend Start Right Here New Student Orientation (August 29) and their program orientation (September 3).
International students must attend Start Right Here New Student Orientation (August 29), New International Student Orientation and their program orientation (September 3).
All of these components are extremely important for you to succeed at the university and you are expected to attend these university-related activities. Other events throughout these two weeks are highly encouraged but optional.
Each orientation component has a different start and end time. We encourage you to review the schedule carefully and make sure you are where you need to be.
We will email you more information throughout the summer about specific times, but expect to be on campus for a greater part of the day. You may also download the CrowdCompass App and start building your schedule!
Each school will have a school specific orientation hosted during Tuesday, September 3. This orientation is really important and also mandatory for you to attend. Lunch will be provided to you during the President’s Welcome BBQ.
Your program may also host separate activities for you and you will hear about this directly from your faculties.
No, the university will be closed during this day as it is a Statutory Holiday. We encourage you to take care of all pending business by Friday, Aug. 30 to ensure you have a smooth first day of classes.
Program orientations are directly coordinated by the department/faculty overseeing the program. You will receive information and details such as time and location directly from your program.
Lunch will be provided in most of the mandatory and group specific orientations; we will also have food trucks and the cafeteria available for additional purchases.
We encourage you to bring some cash or money. We will give you specifics about logistics of the days through the app and email.
As an international student you have three mandatory orientations including Start Right Here New Student Orientation (August 29), New International Student Orientation and your program orientation (September 3).
The majority of classes are cancelled on September 3. Only classes scheduled after 5:30 p.m. will be held that day. Unless you hear otherwise from your professor, it’s safe to assume September 3 has no class. Other orientation activities will be happening September 4-6 while classes are on. Please only come to orientation events if you do not have a class during event times.
New Students arriving to the university for orientation activities may use transit, own vehicle, carpool, etc. to arrive to campus. Please keep in mind parking is limited during orientation activities. Make sure to plan your route.