As a Career Ambassador (CA), you will be a representative of the Career Development Centre (CDC). CAs will advocate and promote the CDC and student professional development. The CAs primary role is to help with career development and employer relations initiatives through outreach to students, alumni, employers, and campus organizations. Ambassadors will go through extensive training with and report directly to the CDC staff members.
About the Career Development Centre
The Career Development Centre (CDC) works to empower students and alumni with the skills, tools and resources they need to achieve their career goals. Through advising, coaching and programming we support students in their journey to develop the confidence, adaptability, resiliency and their personal brand that will enable them to effectively navigate their careers throughout their lifetime. The CDC strives to engage students early in their educational journey to plant the seeds of career development as a fluid and ongoing process that requires preparation, thought and skill development. We provide students with holistic career preparation ranging from program selection, career exploration, skills obtainment, relationship building, personal brand establishment, job search skills and thriving in the workplace.
The Benefits of Being a Career Ambassador
- Enhance interpersonal and communication skills
- Acquire knowledge and abilities related to career and professional development
- Develop leadership, teambuilding and networking skills
- Create personal brand and professional presence
- Practice skills of organization, event planning and project management
- Gain experience in research, marketing, event planning and possibly advising
- Personally connect with career development advisors, faculty members, alumni, peers and industry representatives
- Access alumni and employers during events such as the Jobs for U Hiring Fair, speaker panels and other career development events on campus
- Design marketing materials and create promotional strategies to engage students in all years of study across all programs
- Collaborate with student associations to organize events and/or promotional efforts
- Create, curate and collect content for newsletters and social media channels
- Assist with planning, organizing and promoting events such as hiring fair, workshops, Creating Connections, speaker panels, dean’s choice events, industry day, career development month, company tours, speaker panels etc.
- Represent the CDC as an ambassador by promoting events, services, resources and encouraging students to participate across all Faculties
- Provide input, suggestions, ideas and feedback to the CDC regarding students’ needs and requests for services and programs
- Support the collection of data
- Assist with recruitment and training of new ambassadors
- Enter data as required
- Deliver short in-class presentations to promote the CDC
- Promote CDC at various internal events and tabling around campus
- Attend team meetings and trainings as scheduled
- Support the CDC in various projects and initiatives
- Committed to advancing the CDC’s mission of striving to empower students and alumni with the skills, tools and resources they need to achieve their career goals
- Current Capilano University student with at least a CGPA of 2.5
- Able to work at least two consecutive semesters (Spring and Fall) and commit to 2-5 hours per week (hours may vary depending on intensity of event/task timetables)
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and professionalism
- Strong interpersonal, public speaking and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Evidence of leadership, responsibility, accountability, initiative and attention to detail
- Interest in career/professional development
- Interest in supporting others to discover and meet their potential
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently as well as collaboratively
- Creative, reliable, and punctual
- Possess good judgement, time management and problem solving skills
- Displayed enthusiasm, accountability, willingness to learn and openness to new ideas
- Research skills and proactive curiosity that could be applied to investigating professional opportunities, employers and external partners, industry trends, and more
Apply and submit your resume and cover letter through Career Hub!
Log in at https://experience.capilanou.ca/ and search for Career Ambassador (CA) in Job Postings.
Please note that the job posting will be removed once the recruiting for the term is finalized.
For any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit LB 149.