Improve your English and work toward a new career with help from the Health Care Assistant Pathway program at Capilano University.
New for the 2022-23 Academic Year:
- Tuition-free courses for Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents in the HCA Pathway!
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this pathway program.
Courses & requirements
The Health Care Assistant Pathway is a two-term program which begins in the Fall term 2022 and continues through the following Spring term 2023.
Each term, students take one full-time EAP course: EAP 080 (Fall 2022) and EAP 090 (Spring 2023). Listening/Speaking Skills as well as Reading and Writing Skills will be focused on HCA course content to better prepare you for the HCA Certificate:
- HCA 102 Interpersonal Communications;
- HCA 101 Health and Healing: Concepts for Practice; and
- HCA 100 Lifestyle and Choices.
Students will also do 40 hours of Community Engagement at a Complex Care Unit during this HCA Pathway, one of the suggested admissions requirements to the HCA Certificate program.
To successfully complete the Health Care Assistant Pathway program, you must earn a:
- B or higher in EAP 080 to continue to the next level; and
- B or higher in EAP 090 to continue to the HCA certificate;
- Up to 40 hours of Community Engagement in a Complex Care, Assisted Living or Home-care Facility, for up to 20 hours per term; and
- Achieve the required score on CELPIP or equivalent examination.
Upon completion of the HCA Pathway, students are granted admission to Health Care Assistant Certificate program.
Please note: students taking the HCA Pathway will not gain credits during their time in the Pathway that can be used to complete the HCA certificate.