Learn to create mind-boggling digital visual effects for film and television – in small classes with fantastic instructors. Sound good so far? Picture this ...
Your instructors will be pros from high-end film, broadcast and software companies who are passionate about passing on their craft to the next generation of filmmakers.
During this intensive two-year visual effects program, you'll collaborate with students in film, documentary, animation, costuming and cinematography programs for an even richer experience.
So when you graduate the question won’t be are you ready, but is the world ready for you?
- Work with complex computer graphics technologies applicable to the visual effects industry, including writing computer code to control advanced effects software.
- Be proficient in a range of visual effects skills and have the ability to analyze the appropriate technology use for the specific creative needs of a production pipeline.
- Be motivated and engaged in on-going and self-directed learning in the technology, development and creative processes of visual effects and future technologies relevant to their industries.
- Create and develop their own creative content and intellectual properties, with the potential to produce these projects independently and to evaluate the strategic and appropriate market potential for independent or studio projects.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the visual effects industry, as well as its organizations, production companies and cultural communities.
- Engage in the growth of community and partnership within the field.
- To analyze and implement the technical, conceptual and artistic processes necessary to produce high quality work as independent filmmakers, or as part of the production pipeline for a production company or studio visual effects team.
- Demonstrate a professional and collaborative attitude, excellence in interpersonal skills and communications, and will understand the roles, responsibilities and relationships within a production team.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 60.00
Oct 1, 2019 - Aug 4, 2020
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 6, 2020
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 24, 2020 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
How to apply
- Check the admissions requirements.
- Check the application and document deadlines for your program.
- Complete and submit your application through EducationPlannerBC.
- Upload all your required/supporting official documents.
- Pay your application fee.
- Admissions will review your application and contact you.
Here's what you need to get started on your portfolio
Submit an online application to Capilano University, this is required before you submit your portfolio.
Applicants must submit their portfolio through the online portal SlideRoom.
Your portfolio should include 10–24 images. These images could consist of the following:
- Scans or photographs of artwork (drawings, paintings, sculptures, props),
- website designs,
- graphic designs.
The portfolio should simply reflect a passion for image-making, be it digital or traditional. Solid knowledge of photography/cinematography, with a strong background in computer skills, is an asset.
An interview might be requested if more information is required and the applicants we wish to interview will be contacted by email. In-person interviews are preferred; however, phone interviews can be arranged.
In addition to uploading a portfolio, you will also be required to answer some questions that address your interests and reasons for applying to the Digital Visual Effects diploma program.
High school and post-secondary transcripts are required and will be requested through the Registrar’s Office.
The SlideRoom portal for the 2020 fall Admission period will open on October 1, 2019. Once you create your account, you can begin uploading your portfolio and other requirements. Take your time; you may edit your submission as much as you like but remember that we can review it only after you click the SUBMIT button!
Important Dates and Deadlines
- Apply to Capilano University before submitting your portfolio to SlideRoom.
- Portfolio submissions to SlideRoom have been extended until July 7, 2020. Portfolios will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis until the program is filled.
If possible, applicants are encouraged to attend one of our free open house sessions before they apply, in order to see the facilities, talk to students, observe their work and ask questions about our programs.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).Apply to CapU
Have questions about this program?