Conducting in Music Certificate
Faculty of Fine & Applied Arts
School of Performing Arts
The Conducting in Music certificate is for currently active teachers and musicians.
The program is set up so you can continue work while earning your credential. Most classes take place in the evening over an eight-month period.
Graduates of this program will be able to conduct choral and instrumental ensembles effectively and confidently.
- Conduct effectively in any metre, including subdivisions, cues, cutoffs, articulations, phrasing, changes in metres, tempi, dynamics and with expressiveness.
- Analyse scores for rehearsal and performance purposes including the musical events noted in outcome number 1.
- Identify technical content, strengths and weaknesses in other conductors.
- Effectively run a vocal or instrumental ensemble rehearsal.
- Conduct effectively with or without a baton, using right and left hands independently.
Tuition and Fees Per Year
Note: Fees are subject to change. Some programs have fees for supplies and equipment that aren’t included in the estimate. To get an idea of what you’ll pay to study at CapU, try out our Tuition & Fees Estimator.
Total program credits: 20.00
Oct 1, 2019 - Apr 7, 2020
Course Registration & Waitlisting Starts
Jul 6, 2020
Fee Payment Deadline
Aug 24, 2020 4:00 PM
Note: Dates are subject to change.
Two-year Diploma of Music, Bachelor of Music Degree or Bachelor of Education Degree, Performance or Teacher's ARCT from Royal Conservatory of Music or equivalent. Students who have completed the first year of the Music Diploma may be considered for admission based upon an interview.
Capilano English Language Requirement for students whose primary language is not English: Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): paper=560, internet=83, or English Language Assessment (ELA)=145, or International English Language Testing System (Academic IELTS)=6.5 overall, and no one score less than 6, or Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL)=70, or Pearson Test of English (PTE Academic)=56 or Capilano University EAP 100 and 101 with a minimum B+ grade in each course.
For the official publication of programs, course descriptions and admission requirements please view the Capilano University Calendar (pdf).