We want to recognize the many members of our University community are anxious about a return to campus in the fall. Should you require support or someone to talk to, there is help:

StudentsCounselling Services is available via telephone. Please call 604-984-1744 or email counselling@capilanou.ca to make appointments. Additionally, Here2Talk provides confidential counselling services to Canadian and international post-secondary students in B.C. 24 hours a day via app, phone and online. The BC Centre for Disease Control also provides some helpful resources on mental health and well-being during COVID-19.

Employees: If you or a family member is struggling at this time, Homewood Health and its Employee & Family Assistance Program are available to you and your immediate family members.


Updated August 20, 2021

CapU's Counselling Services continue to support students with appointments via phone, and occassionally in-person with proper physical distacing measures. Indigenous Students can also connect with an elder for support through the Elder In Residence program or meet with a member of staff from the Kéxwusm-áyakn Student Centre. Kéxwusm-áyakn Student Centre will be open with limited hours in 2020-2021.

Faculty in need of emotional support or counselling services can access the Employee Well-being tools and resources found on Frontlines or contact an HR Advisor for further assistance.  

Vaccination is a personal health decision and it is an individual’s right to keep private their medical information.  Please be considerate when discussing vaccination with your teams and colleagues, and do not ask anyone whether or not they have been vaccinated. It’s fine to share your own information if you’re comfortable doing so, but consider those around you and how others may feel when these conversations take place.

(Last updated May 17, 2021)

B.C.’s Provincial Health Officer (PHO) has provided requirements and exemptions for masks/face coverings due to COVID-19. This applies to all students, employees, contractors and subcontractors, agents, visitors and other patrons at post-secondary institutions in B.C. The requirements are in place now until October 31, 2021 and may be extended by the PHO.

Masks MAY be removed indoors if you

  • Need to temporarily remove the face covering to identify yourself to someone
  • Are eating and drinking while seated in a designated eating area – i.e. not a classroom
  • Are participating in exercise activity or sports organized by CapU
  • Are communicating with a person for whom visual cues are essential
  • Need to engage in an educational activity that cannot be performed while wearing a mask, e.g. playing a woodwind or brass instrument
  • Are behind a barrier, separated from other persons, e.g. a divider or cubicle
  • Are in a room by yourself
  • Are in an office or other indoor post-secondary space with no other students/employees or members of the public are present
  • Are delivering a presentation/lecture/teaching (as either an employee or student) AND there is 2m separating you and the students OR a physical barrier between you and the students

Mask exemptions may br granted to people who are unable to wear a face covering because of a psychological, behavioural or health condition or a physical, cognitive or mental impairment OR are unable to put on or remove the face covering without the assistance of another person. If you would like to request a masks exemption, please contact your HR Advisor to provide a doctor's note.

For more inforamtion please see When and Where Do I Need to Wear a Mask?


Updated September 9, 2021


Yes, you do, if you have recently been on campus for classes, work or other reasons. This helps CapU support the Medical Health Officer in contact tracing, and it helps the University focus its efforts in deep cleaning relevant classrooms and offices, and enables us to plan for the health and safety of the other people in your cohort (course or office area).

Department Assistants can order Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for their department, as prescribed for their area and circumstances. The following PPE is available to order through the Bookstore: non-medical face masks, face shields, gloves, protective suits, hand sanitizer for offices and cleaning supplies.

Please contact your Department Assistant about PPE needs for your departments. 

The University offers a variety of resources to support you in working remotely during this time at capilanou.ca/working-remotely. If you require additional IT tools or equipment (webcam, monitor, etc.) to work more effectively while working remotely, please contact IT Services for support.

(updated September 2, 2020)

The Centre for Teaching Excellence is here to support you. The CTE provides a variety of resources for faculty. New this fall, the CTE has added a new Educational Technology Specialist to their team to assist faculty with educational technlogy and tools.

If there is specific software you require for teaching remotely, please submit a request to the Dean's office for your department and the office will coordinate with IT Services.

For more information, visit the CTE website or email cte@capilanou.ca.

(last updated September 2, 2020)

The syllabus template and eLearn template were provided to faculty in the Centre for Teaching Excellence's August 2020 newsletter. The CTE staff can asisst you with making changes to your syllabus. 

Please log in to Employee Self-Service to access your T4 form. 

Additional employee-related frequently asked questions can be found on Frontlines.