We are building Western Canada’s only degree-granting, purpose-designed, integrated Centre of early childhood care, research and lab school education.
High quality childcare is vital for children, families and communities to thrive, facilitating children’s readiness for life, overcoming gender and socio-economic inequality, and accelerating the growth of a strong economy.
Capilano University's new Centre for Childhood Studies will be an international hub for thought leadership, applied research, practice and policy development in Early Childhood Care and Education by:
- Enabling 25% growth in admissions to CapU's Early Childhood Care and Education Programs, helping to meet workforce demand;
- Doubling CapU's capacity for childcare with 74 new spaces, a vital resource for North Shore families and businesses;
- Amplifying CapU's international leadership in early childhood scholarship and research; and
- Supporting the development of a vibrant community and a productive workforce.
Download the Centre for Childhood Studies Case for Support brochure (pdf)
- Two storey, 23,000-square-foot LEED Gold Centre at the north of campus, adjacent to transit and forest;
- A hub for applied research and policy development;
- A place for national conferences, workshops and outreach for educators and families; and
- A custom-designed environment dedicated to optimizing the education of young children.
By the numbers
of childcare facilities struggle to fill open staff positions
Average estimated waitlist time for a childcare space in North Vancouver
In North Vancouver: there are only 32 childcare spaces for every 100 children in the infant-toddler and pre-school age categories
new early childhood educators needed in the next 10 years (Province of BC labour market prediction)
Derek and Carlota Lee, Campaign Co-Chairs
"Education is fundamental to a strong society. We are honoured to lead the campaign for Capilano University’s new Centre for Childhood Studies. Please join us and shine a light on the vital role of early childhood education in forging healthy, resilient communities and strengthening economic prosperity."
Yuri Fulmer, O.B.C., Chancellor, Capilano University
"In the words of Maria Montessori, our children hold 'the fate of the future.' The new Centre for Childhood Studies will position Capilano University to lead one of the most vital conversations of our time and harness the enormous potential of early childhood education in creating a caring and equitable society."