Employers must adhere to all federal and provincial legislation pertaining to recruitment and other activities that may affect students and graduates of Capilano University
Student Employment Services reserves the right to ban or suspend an employer from participating in any of its events and / or services based on student complaints, behaviour or actions by the employer contrary to the employer guidelines, and for any reason deemed necessary by Capilano University's Student Employment Services. It is not our role to monitor the recruiting practices of employers, however, if there is a student complaint regarding an organization's recruiting practices, we will investigate.
1. Be as specific as possible in your job description section to ensure only students with the appropriate credentials and experience apply.
2. Refrain from using discriminatory language in your advertisement.
INCORRECT: Applicants must have English as their first language.
CORRECT: Applicants must be fluent in English or and Advanced level of English skills in speaking, writing listening and reading.
3. Ensure the use of proper spelling and grammar in your advertisement as Student Employment Services does not edit the postings.
4. Please note any advertisement asking students for an upfront payment or a photograph of themselves can be considered discriminatory / unethical and we may refuse to post your advertisement.
5. We do not regularly vet or screen employers, although we reserve the right to contact you for more information and to refuse posting your advertisement.
6. Recruiters may post on a conditional basis. Student Employment Services will post ads from recruiters at our discretion.
Current legislation in British Columbia requires at least minimum wage
as hourly remuneration for positions which are classified as “work”. Because of this, Capilano University will no
longer accept postings for unpaid internships unless these are for a
The following links will be able to provide you with thorough
information about the Employment Standards Act:
BC Employment Standards Act
Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour: Glossary of Important Terms
Ministry of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Responsible for Labour: Interpretation Guidelines Manual
Capilano University | 2055 Purcell Way, North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada V7J 3H5 Tel: 604.986.1911
Squamish | 1150 Carson Place, Squamish, British Columbia Canada V8B 0B1 Tel: 604.892.5322
Sunshine Coast | 5627 Inlet Avenue, Sechelt, British Columbia Canada V0N 3A0 Tel: 604.885.9310