Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can I transfer credit from another institution?

    While no formal articulation agreements are in place between Capilano University's Bachelor of Music in Jazz Studies program and other undergraduate jazz diploma and degree programs, Capilano University's Jazz Studies program grants transfer credit for courses taken at other post-secondary institutions if they are applicable and have suitable relevancy.

    The Jazz Studies program regularly accepts students from colleges in B.C. such as Malaspina University College, Vancouver Community College, Kwantlen University College and Selkirk College. In addition, students have transferred from the jazz programs at Alberta's Mount Royal College, Grant MacEwan Community College and Keyano College, to complete the four-year program at Capilano University. Across Canada, Capilano University has accepted transfer students from the classical music programs at the University of British Columbia, University of Alberta, Concordia College, and the University of Regina, as well as from the jazz programs at St. Francis Xavier and Humber College. Outside of Canada, Berklee College of Music (Boston, U.S.) has been another source of transfer students to Jazz Studies at Capilano University. A small number of students have transferred from music schools abroad, including the University of the Phillipines, Middlesex University (U.K.), and the George Ots Talinn Musical School in Estonia.

    Because of the wide variations that exist in approach and emphasis in various music programs, the Jazz Studies program reserves the right to examine for competency according to our course requirements before transfer credit is approved.

    Transfer of concentration performance instrument courses, keyboard and ear training credits will be possible only up to the placement level determined by the auditioner and by keyboard and ear training test results.

    Since the Capilano program emphasizes jazz studies and many other Canadian music degree programs provide a study of traditional music, block transfer of courses to other institutions is not available. Several individual courses have, however, been accepted by institutions with similar offerings.

    Please refer to the online B.C. Transfer Guide for further information.

    How long do I have to be out of high school to apply to your program as a mature student?

    After two years out of high school, written requests for admission as a mature student will be considered by the admissions officer.

    What level of English do I need to enter your program?

    You must meet the standards for enrolment in a 100 level English course.

    Do I need a TOEFL or ELA score?

    If English is not your first language, or you have received your education in another language you are required to submit, along with your application, a TOEFL or ELA score. Contact the Registrar's Office at (604)-984-4900 for more information.

    Do I need to write an EDT?

    All students are required to write the EDT for entry into university English courses unless you are exempt. Please go to the English Diagnotic Test website for more information on exemptions and testing dates.

    Do I have to attend an audition in person?

    All prospective students wishing to enter the Jazz Studies Program are required to audition on their primary instrument and write a theory test. Live audition and testing is preferred. Distance auditions via skype may be arranged for applicants who live outside the Lower Mainland of BC.  

    Can the program be taken part-time?


    What does the program cost?

    Please see the current Fees and Fee Payment schedules.

    How do I find out about scholarships, bursaries and other forms of Financial Assistance?

    For information on Financial Assistance contact the Financial Aid Office.

    Are there any residences on campus?

    No. You can contact the Student Union for information regarding available rental accommodations.