Aichi Gakusen College had its start in 1912 when a school was established with the original goal of providing women with a good educational background as well as career training. The College is ranked among the earliest twenty of such women's schools in Japan. Since the beginning, the objectives of the College have remained the same: to encourage young women to develop fully their potential and abilities, thus become contributing members of society. In the 1999/2000 academic year, the College became co-educational.
About the Aichi Gakusen Scholarship
The Aichi Gakusen Scholarship is a prestigious award designed to assist students in studying abroad in Japan. Each year, this scholarship awards three students $2,500 to attend Aichi Gakusen College in Okazaki for one semester (early April – late July). The Aichi Exchange Committee hopes to encourage students who are intellectually curious and are interested in expanding their knowledge of the Japanese culture and language.
The Aichi Gakusen Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis to students who demonstrate a combination of strong academic achievement and interest in experiential learning overseas. Students are selected from all faculties across Capilano University with the program designed to recognize and address the unique challenges that students face in securing international educational experience.
The scholarship competition is open to ALL Capilano University students interested in studying abroad in Japan.
- have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 at time of application
- be enrolled as a full time student (9 credits) at Capilano University at time of application
- must return to Capilano University for at least one term as a full time student (9 credits) after the term abroad
- complete and submit the Application for the Aichi Gakusen Exchange Program by posted deadline
- complete a first year level course in the Japanese language at Capilano University
- take some cross-cultural training, including reading and reviewing two books and writing three short papers on Japan
- register for 3 (9 credits) Capilano University courses: 3 credits of Japanese language and 6 credits in social sciences
- act as a buddy for our 3 incoming exchange students from Aichi Gakusen College
- complete and submit 5 reflection pieces due at the end of each month starting April 2016.
- fulfill duties of being an Ambassador for Capilano University and Canada in Japan
- assist in teaching English as a second language to students at Aichi Gakusen
- enroll as a full time student (9 credits) during the Fall 2016 term
- participate in Ambassador for Study Abroad events such as Ambassador Speaker Series, Info sessions, classroom visits etc.
- mentor future Capilano University students attending Aichi Gakusen College