Experience life abroad while you continue your studies at Capilano University.

If you are currently studying outside of Canada and your home university is a partner institution to CapU, you can apply to come here as an exchange student.  Work through the international office of your home university to set up your exchange experience with Capilano University.

Another option is to apply as a visiting international student. You could be a visiting student at CapU if:

  • you are studying at a school that doesn't have a partnership agreement with CapU and you want to come here for a semester, or
  • you are a recent international high school graduate interested in a gap year experience

What you could study at CapU

Some courses you can take as an exchange or visiting international student include:

  • Business, including marketing, accounting, finance, international business, human resources
  • Communication Studies
  • Liberal Arts, including art history, anthropology, criminology, English, geography, history, philosophy, political science, psychology, social sciences
  • Tourism and Outdoor Recreation, including tourism management and outdoor recreation

Access to courses for exchange students is limited, and is restricted to students from universities with whom Capilano University has a specific program exchange agreement. To find out whether your university qualifies, please speak with your home university co-ordinator or study abroad advisor.

View our programs and courses for more information on these programs and their prerequisites.

We recommend that exchange students take 9-12 credits (3-4 classes) per term. Full-time status at Capilano University is a minimum of nine credits. Check with your home university for their requirements though, as these may be different.

Key Dates

Capilano University accepts students during our Fall, Spring and Summer terms. Each term is 15 weeks including the final exam period. Examination schedules are determined later in the term and therefore it is unknown what the actual date of your last exam is. When booking flight tickets please ensure that you do not return home before the last day of the Exam Period.

All new international students are invited to attend the New International Student Orientation.

  • Fall (September to December)
  • Spring (January to April)
  • Summer (May to August) - Summer semester is only open to visiting international students

For more detailed information on academic dates, please visit Academic Schedule and Important Dates.

How to apply

Fill in the application and course selection forms

Download and complete the Capilano University International Application for Admission (pdf).

You also need to complete the Preliminary Course Selection Form (pdf).

Include an official transcript of your academic records

You need to include an original, certified copy of your official transcript of academic records from your home university. High school documents are not needed.

If your transcript isn't in English, you also need to include a certified English translation.

Include proof of English language proficiency

Your English must be good enough to participate in coursework at Capilano University. For more information about which English assessments CapU accepts, visit Admission Requirements.

If you're applying as an exchange student, you can also submit a letter of reference from your university's International Exchange Coordinator, instructor or English professor, that states your level of English.

Submit your application

If you're applying as an exchange student, send your completed application to studyabroad@capilanou.ca.

If you're applying as a visiting international student, email your application to VISP@capilanou.ca. Official documents may need to be submitted at a later date.

The deadlines to apply for each term are:

  • May 31 for Fall semester (September-December)
  • October 15 for Spring semester (January-April)
  • February 15 for Summer semester (May-August). Please note that the Summer semester is only open to visiting international students.

Fees and payments

Most exchange students will pay tuition to their home university, so check with your university to confirm. You'd still need to pay some fees to Capilano University, including a student transit pass.

Visiting international students pay standard international student tuition fees. You'll also have to pay standard CapU incidental fees. In addition, you must purchase health insurance coverage through CapU for your entire period of study.