Posted: December 12, 2016
Looking for something to read or watch over the holidays? No matter your interests, the library’s got you covered!
MOST CHECKED-OUT POPULAR BOOKS IN 2016
1. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante - Book one of the Neapolitan Novels, about two friends living in Naples over the years.
2. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - Story about a pair of children, one being a blind French girl, the other being a German boy, living
in Nazi-occupied France.
3. Naked by David Sedaris - Collection of essays by American humorist David Sedaris.
4. Room by Emma Donoghue - A story about a five-year old boy who has been held
captive in a single room for his entire life along with his mother.
5. Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami - Novel about a Japanese man
reflecting on the relationships he had in college in the 1960s with two different women.
6. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs - A dark fantasy novel about a teenager in Wales who comes across a possibly haunted
7. The Rosie Project by Graeme Simison - Romantic comedy about a genetics professor who has difficulty with women.
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling - Book two of the Harry Potter series.
9. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling - Book one of the Harry Potter series.
10. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - Thriller about a man suspected of killing his wife after she
11. The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick - An alternate history where the Nazis and Japan won WWII, and the basis of the Amazon TV show.
12. Adulting by Kelly Williams Brown - A comedic "guide" on how to be a grown-up.
MOST CHECKED-OUT MOVIES IN 2016
1. Inside Out - Yet another Pixar masterpiece, about the feelings literally living inside a young girl.
2. Dallas Buyers Club - Based on a true story of a man diagnosed with AIDS in the 1980s.
3. The Mission - Classic film about a slave trader and Jesuit priest who try to keep a South American Native tribe from being taken over by
4. Dr. Strangelove - Stanley Kubrick's classic black comedy about nuclear war.
5. Blade Runner - Classic sci-fi film in which Harrison Ford plays a man tasked with hunting down illegal human-looking androids in a dystopian
6. The Reluctant Fundamentalist - After an American professor is kidnapped in Pakistan by terrorists, a CIA operative interviews a Pakistani professor
he suspects was involved.
7. The Fantastic Mr. Fox - Stop-motion animated film based on the children's novel by Roald
8. The Conversation - Drama starring Gene Hackman as a man who runs a company that spies on people and records their conversations, and ends up
inadvertantly getting people killed.
Here are some of the library’s newer popular books:
After the Quake by Haruki Murakami - A collection stories set in the aftermath of an earthquake in Japan in 1995.
Baby Proof by Emily Giffin - A story about a happily-married couple who encounter difficulties in their relationship when one of them decides they
want a baby and the other one doesn’t.
Bean Trees by Barbara Kingsolver - A young woman from Kentucky moves west, adopting a young Native child along the way.
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan - A regular American-born Chinese woman travels to Singapore to meet her boyfriend’s rich family, and has difficulty
navigating the crazy world of the super rich.
Disclaimer by Renée Knight - A mysterious book appears in a young woman’s house, and she is terrified to realize that not only is it about her, but
there are secrets within it no one else should know.
The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King - The brilliant second book of Stephen King’s Dark Tower fantasy/western series.
The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski - The first book in the dark fantasy Witcher series.
The Lola Quartet by Emily St. John Mandel - After being fired from his job, a young man returns to his hometown in Florida and discovers he may have
fathered a child by his ex-girlfriend.
Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn - The true sequel to Return of the Jedi.
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay by Elena Ferrante - Book 3 of the internationally bestselling Neapolitan Novels.