Career Paths

  • We put the care in career

    Few vocations offer the rich rewards a career in the health care industry does. And few areas can match the unique career paths that are available to Health & Education graduates.

    Early Childhood Care & Education

    • Daycare and Preschool Early Childhood Educators
    • Family Childcare Owner/Operators
    • Licensing Assessors
    • Managers of Childcare Centres
    • Managers of children's programming in Neighbourhod Houses, Community Centres, and Rec Centres
    • Supported Childcare Consultants
    • Special Education Teaching Assistants in some school districts

    Health Care Assistant program

    The Health Care Assistant program can lead to careers such as:

    • Health Care Assistants
    • Resident Care Aides
    • Home Support Aides
    • Continuing care: home support, adult day-care, assisted living, complex care (including special care units)

    Music Therapy program

    • Music Therapist

    Music Therapists work with all age groups, in a variety of educational and health settings. Most Music Therapists who work with children work in private practice; those that work with adolescents and adults tend to do so in mental health and hospital settings. Music Therapists who work with the elderly tend to work in long term care facilities, and those who work with the dying work in Palliative Care Units and Hospices.

    Many of our alumni have gone on to graduate work (Masters and PhDs), which gives them access to research and teaching positions. Many of the recent graduates with Masters degrees have secured employment in administrative positions in health care.

    Rehabilitation Assistant program

    Work is most frequently found in hospitals in gerontology, neurology and orthopaedics. Employment can also be found in clinics and extended care facilities. Graduates can work in any health authority across BC and Canada under the supervision of a PT, OT, SLP or Audiologist. Other possibilities include:

    • RA (rehab assistant)
    • OTA (occupational therapy assistant)
    • PTA (physiotherapy assistant)
    • SLPA (speech language pathology assistant)
    • RA working in school districts supporting OT, PT or SLP.
    • Hearing screeners for newborn infants

    Education Assistant program

    Graduates can work as Education Assistants and Educational Assistants in schools (public, private,independent from K – 12) anywhere in BC. Other environments could include pre-school settings and after-school settings.Other possibilities include:

    • Private tutors
    • Orton Gillingham (OG) tutors
    • Therapeutic or adapted programs for PE, riding, etc.